New readme, contribution guidelines

Dreamcat4

Oct 6, 2010, 9:57:11 AM10/6/10
to jewel...@googlegroups.com
Jeweler's Readme has been updated recently, including clearer
contribution guidelines. This is great and have no problem following
the new contribution guidelines, including rebasing, providing the
necessary tests, etc.

I have a feature on an older branch of Jeweler which provides gem
owners an easy way to publish / release static docs up to ghpages. It
seems that github are in support of it, they love their ghpages
feature. Tektub and Chris have commented positively about it.

The feature is most useful when selected along with yard or rdoc
flags, and chained onto the "rake release" task. Then whenever a new
gem version is published, so are the most recent online docs. It also
uses the github API to sets a link in the homepage for the gh-pages
documentation url. You can even tweak the settings and customize your
gem with a full-blown static site (jekyll, or other static generator).
You can specify a mapping of the website to subfolders inside your
gem. Keeps your docs all versioned together with your rubygem.

It seems to be a worthwhile addition to jeweler. However its a big
feature. I want to be sure that porting and rebasing to the current
branch is worth it. So you'll need to let me know if you'll have it. I
have tests on the old branch which hopefully will transfer okay. The
feature is pretty mature. Been pushing up docs to github with it for
months now. Several gems - including the plist4r rubygem! (just see -
http://dreamcat4.github.com/plist4r/frames.html?http://dreamcat4.github.com/plist4r/object_index.html).

Issues:
http://github.com/technicalpickles/jeweler/issues#issue/100

dreamcat4
drea...@gmail.com

Josh Nichols

Oct 12, 2010, 10:00:56 PM10/12/10
to jewel...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dreamcat4,

I used this to try to track the changes your branch introduces: http://github.com/dreamcat4/jeweler/compare/dfcd7b6a...67c6ab6f

I still need to check it out more closely, and try it out, but if you can get it rebased on master, I'd love to include it. I'm aiming for a big 1.5.0 release soonish, but if you can't make it in for that, I really want to be more proactive about releasing early and often, so we can do a release after that no problem.

I did a cursory review, and these things stuck out:

 * bin/jeweler should not require rubygems, as that should be automatically loaded in most cases
 * features/generator/gemfile.feature has typo of Gemfeil, should be Gemfile
 * I don't see a dependency on grancher anywhere except the gemspec, should definitely be in the gemfile.
 * this all looks like it's on the refactor branch, which hasn't been merged yet

That's all I have so far. I'm in #jeweler on irc if you have any questions or want to chat about any of this!

Dreamcat4

Oct 13, 2010, 11:57:38 AM10/13/10
to jewel...@googlegroups.com
Hooray!
Of course will be rebasing onto master now. Being in UK theres a time
shift - you cant usually catch me very awake! Hope i can make it in
time for your next release window.

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Josh Nichols <jo...@technicalpickles.com> wrote:
> Hey Dreamcat4,
> I used this to try to track the changes your branch
> introduces: http://github.com/dreamcat4/jeweler/compare/dfcd7b6a...67c6ab6f
> I still need to check it out more closely, and try it out, but if you can
> get it rebased on master, I'd love to include it. I'm aiming for a big 1.5.0
> release soonish, but if you can't make it in for that, I really want to be
> more proactive about releasing early and often, so we can do a release after
> that no problem.
> I did a cursory review, and these things stuck out:
>  * bin/jeweler should not require rubygems, as that should be automatically
> loaded in most cases

sure

>  * features/generator/gemfile.feature has typo of Gemfeil, should be Gemfile

noted

>  * I don't see a dependency on grancher anywhere except the gemspec, should
> definitely be in the gemfile.

okay

>  * this all looks like it's on the refactor branch, which hasn't been merged
> yet

yes

Dreamcat4

Oct 16, 2010, 10:38:54 AM10/16/10
to jewel...@googlegroups.com
Have ported the code over...
All the new tests added pass. Thanks to pretty much all of the
functionality being in new and seperate files. Just had to change the
generator.rb and tweak a few other things a little bit. And its in
there!

To make merging easier / avoid conflicts I made a new branch. It
contains only 1 commit.

http://github.com/dreamcat4/jeweler/tree/ghpages-1.5.x

Hope thats okay!

Tests
--------
Before:
After:

Features
Before:
101 scenarios (1 failed, 100 passed)
612 steps (1 failed, 3 skipped, 608 passed)

After:
103 scenarios (103 passed)
628 steps (628 passed)

Those new tests / features are all green. Have also generated a couple
of real-life sample projects. All fine. The 7 existing failures were
like that when i found them and don't touch the ghpages code.