Thank you to our friends at the American Association of Teachers of Japanese for this Job Posting.
Position: Assistant Professor of Instruction in Japanese
Institution: University of Texas at Austin
To Apply: https://faculty.utexas.edu/career/126896
The Department of Asian Studies at The University of Texas at Austin invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Instruction in Japanese language, beginning Fall semester 2024. This full-time, non-tenure-track position carries the possibility of annual renewal, contingent upon job performance, the continued needs of the department, and availability of program funding. In Fall 2024-Spring 2025, the successful candidate will be expected to teach first- and second-year Japanese courses with an average of 12 contact hours per week. On renewal, future course assignments may vary. Located at the flagship campus of The University of Texas System, our department offers a congenial and exciting context for teaching and research in the languages and cultures of East Asia. In addition to working closely with students in our department, the successful candidate will also have the opportunity to participate fully in the rich intellectual life of The University of Texas at Austin.
A Master’s degree or higher in Japanese language or a closely related field and native or near-native proficiency in both Japanese and English required. Preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience and demonstrated ability to teach a variety of levels.
Interested candidates are invited to upload via Interfolio:
1) a cover letter describing their qualifications, teaching experience, and teaching philosophy,
2) a detailed curriculum vitae and list of courses taught and textbooks used,
3) a 10-15 minute video clip(s) of recent teaching with the lesson plan (if possible, please include one clip that demonstrates your ability to introduce new grammatical concepts and another that focuses on guiding students’ practice exercises; please include multiple clips within one file), and
4) three letters of recommendation.
Candidates invited for interviews will be asked later to submit:
1) relevant course syllabi and
2) two years of course evaluations, if available.
The deadline for applications is February 7, 2024. Please direct questions about the search to Prof. Midori Tanaka (mid...@austin.utexas.edu) with the words “Japanese language search” in the subject line.