Jobs

Clara

Jun 1, 2010, 1:14:19 PM6/1/10
to JETAA (International) Student Services
Hi all,
It has been a while since I posted here - sorry. I found a few job
openings that I thought I'd pass along:

1. Global Director of Student Success Global College, Long Island
University
Global College is a four year undergraduate program in global
experiential education emphasizing cross-cultural understanding,
global citizenship and contemporary issues. Students begin with a
Foundation Year at the Costa Rica Center before going on to a second
year in India and a third year in China. As an alternative to the
second or third year, students may choose to participate in the year-
long program in Comparative Religion and Culture, which visits Taiwan
and Thailand in the fall semester and India and Turkey in the spring
semester. Students complete an independent study semester in the fall
of the senior year before returning to Brooklyn for a capstone
semester. The position is based at the Brooklyn campus of Long Island
University. http://www.brooklyn.liu.edu/globalcollege/
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Global Director of Student Success is
responsible for the coordination and enhancement of both student and
academic resources in order to increase the retention and graduation
rates at Global College.
TYPICAL DUTIES:
- Address student concerns related to financial aid, billing,
registration, graduation, safety, psychological and physical health
issues.
- Lead college-wide retention strategy including managing retention
and enrollment data; coordinate student governance and leadership
positions.
- Coordinate and implement special events such as new and continuing
student orientation, senior sendoff and senior recognition day.
- Direct the College’s internal communications among the Global
community, including students, center staff and parents.
- Chair a Global College student success committee (comprised of both
academic and student service representatives) to develop and carry out
a strategic plan for student success at Global College.
- Coordinate revisions to center handbooks and academic plans.
Salary: Negotiable
Starting date: August 1 or September 1, 2010.
QUALIFICATIONS: Masters degree required; an understanding of and
commitment to international education in international settings;
administrative experience in a study abroad office strongly preferred;
strong organizational skills to coordinate collaborative projects with
our global educational community; experience working with student
affairs, specifically financial aid, registration, billing and safety
issues; superior communication, organizational, problem-solving and
interpersonal skills (phone, email and in person); a good work ethic;
previous supervisory experience.
Contact: Please send cover letter and c.v. to Sarah Whitaker,
Assistant to the Dean, Global College of Long Island University, 9
Hanover Place, 4th floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201 or
sarah.w...@liu.edu. First review of applications will take place
June 16, 2010.

2. InterExchange / CAREER TRAINING USA
Job Title: Placement Associate – Participant Recruitment
Job Description: In addition to administrative coordination of
placement applications, this position will facilitate the growth of
the Career Training USA placement program by increasing collaboration
and partnership with overseas universities and developing and
enhancing participant recruitment strategies.
Responsibilities may include:

 Reviewing placement applications and communicating with candidates
and partner organizations as necessary; issuing government generated
visa application documents
 Fielding phone and email inquiries from interested placement
applicants, partner organizations and employers
 Implementing and further developing comprehensive pre-screening
process for applicants
 Managing a US region, including researching the local economy and
industries, connecting with current and prospective employers, and
assisting in developing and implementing promotional events within the
region
 Troubleshooting placement problems and questions as necessary
 Assisting Program Manager and Director of Marketing with developing
and implementing participant recruitment strategies
 Forming and maintaining relationships with universities for
recruitment purposes
 Conducting webinars and traveling occasionally in order to promote
the program to prospective participants

Candidate profile:

 Ability to work as part of a team
 Self-motivated, creative, organized, resourceful and patient
 Desire to take initiative to create and develop something new
 Great communication skills (verbal and written) and diplomacy
 Strong office and presentation skills
 Willingness to travel, if required
 Experience with program admissions, marketing, career services,
human resources, staffing, or program development
 Possesses driver’s license and clean driving record

Necessary Experience:

 Living/working/studying abroad (min. 6 mos.)
 Strong writing, communication and organizational background
 College graduate

John Duque

Oct 27, 2010, 11:51:08 AM10/27/10
to jetaastude...@googlegroups.com
Dear Clara,

Thank you again for forwarding these great job opportunties. I really enjoy receiving them. I will be visiting D.C to attend the Career and Graduate School Forum hosted by your chapter from Nov 8 to the 10th. I will looking for opportunities to use my JET experience with either the private or public sectors.

In light of my upcoming Career Forum, I would like to know if you have JET alums contacts who currently work for the "Institute of International Education" (Dept of State). Since the events will be taking place at night, I would like to arrange for an "informational interview" with alums who hold positions at IIE or other similar institutions. I would like to get their insights into work environment in DC and at IIE. I aware there will be other reps from other companies at the networking event on Wed night, but necessarily in the area I am looking for. (e.g. International Education Programs)

To give you a brief background, I was both the JET chapter president in Florida as well as the JET recruiter for the consulate a while back. I've been trying to find "meaningful' work in Florida, but the opportunities are scarce. There's just nothing here.

Please kindly let me know if you have suggestions of people who I can meet during the day to fill up my day with informaitonal interviews. I have already scheduled a meeting with the Bilingual Japanese recruiting firm "Interesse" for Tuesday, November 9th. I appreciate any contacts who would be willing to talk to me during that week (either day, afternoon or evening)

Thanks and I appreciate any help.

Sincerely,

John Duque, MBA
Former JET recruiter