God Pause for Sunday, 1/29/2012

Honeybee Rhoads

Jan 29, 2012, 6:03:13 AM1/29/12
to Krazy...@yahoogroups.com

GOD PAUSE - Luther Seminary Web View Other Faith Resources Forward to a Friend
Sunday, 1/29/2012

"Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence," ELW 490 (Click to view the hymn text below.)

The voice of God is best heard when I keep silent and listen. In the silence, a still, small voice echoes in the head with sounds of splashing waters as God opens the heavens saying, "This is my beloved Son."  In the silence, the Word made flesh enriches the heart with bread and wine saying, "Do this in remembrance of me." In the silence, the clanging of pounding nails in the body is pierced with the cry "It is finished." In the silence, the grinding of a rolling gravestone resounds in the soul with angels' alleluias—He is risen! When I listen, the voices of heavenly creatures teach me new words of praise. When I listen, my small voice harmonizes with songs of people lifting holy hands in awe. When I listen, I can hear the Lamb on the throne of God saying, "Let everyone who hears, 'Come...'" (Revelation 22:16)

Blessing, glory, power and might be to you, ever-living God of hope and joy. Alleluia, Lord most High. Amen.

Betsy Dartt
Greenfield Lutheran Church, Harmony, Minn.
Master of Divinity, 1981

"Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence," ELW 490

1 Let all mortal flesh keep silence, and with fear and trembling stand;
ponder nothing earthly-minded,
for with blessing in his hand Christ our God to earth descend comes full homage to demand.

2 King of kings, yet born of Mary, as of old on earth he stood,
Lord of lords in human vesture, in the body and the blood,
he will give to all the faithful his own self for heav'nly food.

3 Rank on rank the host of heaven spreads its vanguard on the way;
as the Light of light, descending from the realms of endless day,
comes, the powe'rs of hell to vanquish, as the darkness clears away.

4 At his feet the sinx-winged seraph, cherubim with sleepless eye,
veil their faces to the presence, as with ceaseless voice they cry:
"Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia, Lord Most High!"

return to devotion

Please forward this e-mail to a friend!

This month's devotions are offered by Luther Seminary alumni/ae from the graduating class of 1976 and 1981.

Luther Seminary educates leaders for Christian communities across the country and around the world. It is the largest of the eight seminaries in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).

We invite you to join us online for our daily chapel service.

Luther Seminary Faith Resource Spotlight

Archives
Archive of Luther Seminary and its predecessors. ELCA Region 3 collection dating back to 1843. Guidance for congregations preserving their history. More information.

For best viewing of future e-mails, please add comm...@luthersem.edu to your Safe Senders List or Address Book.

You are currently subscribed to these God Pause daily devotions as honeybe...@gmail.com.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please click below to Manage Email Preferences and uncheck the God Pause list.
Forward to a friend
  |  Manage Email Preferences  |  Unsubscribe from all Luther Seminary lists

This email was sent to honeybe...@gmail.com by Luther Seminary
2481 Como Ave.  |  St. Paul  |  MN  |  55108

Luther Seminary | 2481 Como Ave. | St. Paul, MN 55108 | United States

--
May God Bless,
Honeybee

Please visit: