God Pause for Tuesday, 1/31/2012

Honeybee Rhoads

Jan 31, 2012, 6:14:01 AM1/31/12
to Krazy...@yahoogroups.com
GOD PAUSE - Luther Seminary Web View Other Faith Resources Forward to a Friend
Tuesday, 1/31/2012

Psalm 84 (Click to view Bible text below.)

Being the oldest grandchild, I was able to spend weekends, and then longer periods of time, with my grandparents at their retirement lake home. At those times I felt complete and unconditional love. Those experiences granted me joyful learning opportunities. I was at complete peace. The lake provided unique adventures. But as I reflect, today, I realize that it wasn't the location, but the presence of my grandparents; for I had experienced similar feelings in their city apartment as well. As I listen to the words of the Psalmist, it is clear that the "loveliness" of the dwelling place and the happiness of living in the house are due to the presence of the Creator. Living in the dwelling place, the "courts" of God, is to live in the presence—always—of the living God.

Dear God, grant that I may always live in you, and you in me; so I may experience the wonder, beauty and love of your dwelling place. Amen.

Bob Iverson
St. John's Lutheran Church, Northfield, Minn.
Master of Divinity, 1981

Psalm 84 (NRSV)

1 How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord of hosts!

2 My soul longs, indeed it faints for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God.

3 Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, at your altars, O Lord of hosts, my King and my God.

4 Happy are those who live in your house, ever singing your praise.

          Selah

5 Happy are those whose strength is in you, in whose heart are the highways to Zion.

6 As they go through the valley of Baca they make it a place of springs; the early rain also covers it with pools.

7 They go from strength to strength; the God of gods will be seen in Zion.

8 O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer; give ear, O God of Jacob!

          Selah

9 Behold our shield, O God; look on the face of your anointed.

10 For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than live in the tents of wickedness.

11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield; he bestows favor and honor. No good thing does the Lord withhold from those who walk uprightly.

12 O Lord of hosts, happy is everyone who trusts in you.

return to devotion

Please forward this e-mail to a friend!

This week's devotions are offered by a Luther Seminary alumni/ae from the graduating class of 2001

Luther Seminary educates leaders for Christian communities across the country and around the world. It is the largest of the eight seminaries in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).

We invite you to join us online for our daily chapel service.

Luther Seminary Faith Resource Spotlight

Archives
Archive of Luther Seminary and its predecessors. ELCA Region 3 collection dating back to 1843. Guidance for congregations preserving their history. More information.

Scripture quotations are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989, Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

For best viewing of future e-mails, please add comm...@luthersem.edu to your Safe Senders List or Address Book.

You are currently subscribed to these God Pause daily devotions as honeybe...@gmail.com.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please click below to Manage Email Preferences and uncheck the God Pause list.
Forward to a friend
  |  Manage Email Preferences  |  Unsubscribe from all Luther Seminary lists

This email was sent to honeybe...@gmail.com by Luther Seminary
2481 Como Ave.  |  St. Paul  |  MN  |  55108

Luther Seminary | 2481 Como Ave. | St. Paul, MN 55108 | United States

--
May God Bless,
Honeybee

Please visit: