The active Word January 31, 2012

Honeybee Rhoads

Jan 31, 2012, 6:13:18 AM1/31/12
to Krazy...@yahoogroups.com

The active Word
pastor bob coy

January 31, 2012

Matthias

And the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles. Acts 1:26 (NKJV)

A few days after Christ's ascension into Heaven, His followers decided they should appoint someone to take the place of Judas. After all, Jesus had originally called twelve disciples, and they were down a man. So Peter led the process of replacing Judas.

They established spiritual criteria, and it came down to two men: Joseph (also known as Barsabas and Justus) and Matthias. After drawing lots, it fell to Matthias, and he was installed as Judas' replacement.

Now, for centuries a debate has ensued as to whether Matthias was God's true choice to replace Judas or whether the Apostle Paul was. But that's not the point of this particular devotional. Instead, our focus is on Matthias' reaction to these events...or rather his lack of reaction.

When we read about Matthias being nominated and chosen, we don't have any mention of him protesting. "Hey, I appreciate this honor, but I'm not sure if I'm quite cut out for this. I know Jesus personally chose the rest of you, and I don't know if I can carry out the responsibilities based on someone casting lots. Maybe we should try again and see what happens." There's none of that. Instead there's the sense that Matthias willingly accepted his new role and stepped into it alongside Peter, John, Matthew, and the others.

Matthias was open and available to do what was required of him. A twelfth man was needed, and he was chosen, So he simply stepped up. That hasn't always been the case in scripture. Men like Moses, Gideon, and Jeremiah initially shied away from their commission from God. As far as we can tell, Matthias didn't.

Although Matthias is only mentioned briefly in the Bible, and we have no record of a single word he uttered, his openness and availability to undertake greater spiritual responsibility speaks volumes to us. He represents the kind of attitude we need to have when the lot falls to us to spiritually step in and step up.

Think About It? What does this passage reveal to me about God? What does this passage reveal to me about myself? Based on this, what changes do I need to make? What is my prayer for today?

--
May God Bless,
Honeybee

Please visit: