Error Installing JEP on Windows

Mike Westerfield

Mar 13, 2020, 12:49:56 PM3/13/20
to Jep Project
Hi folks,

I am trying to install JEP on Windows 10 with Python 3.8.2.

When I install using "pip install jep", I get an error that says, in part, "Microsoft Visual C++ 14.1 is required."

When I install using "python setup.py build", I get "error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat".

From the documentation, both seem to indicate that I need to install Visual Studio. The first error indicates this should be Visual Studio 2017 15.0. From my Python, I find that the correct version should be "MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)". This appears to be Visual Studio 2017 15.9. Given contradictory information, I tried them both. Both give the same errors.

Does anyone have any tips or hints on how to get this install to work?

Thanks,

Mike

Nathan Jensen

Mar 14, 2020, 8:56:37 PM3/14/20
to Jep Project, Mike Westerfield
Hi, did you read through all the comments on the three Windows tickets?  https://github.com/ninia/jep/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Awindows  Some of the comments go off in other directions, or other people hop onto a thread, but vcvarsall has been seen before.  Specifically check out this one: https://github.com/ninia/jep/issues/160#issuecomment-519262848  Let us know if you solve it or need more help.

Mike Westerfield

Mar 17, 2020, 3:51:57 PM3/17/20
to Jep Project
The first link helped a lot. I had missed that one. Modifying msvc9compiler.py to return the actual path for vcvarsall.py, like this, solved that problem:

Replace line 100 with:

   return r'<the path to vcvarsall.bat>'

worked great.

Now it's failing with:

   error: command 'cl.exe' failed: No such file or directory

I'll poke at that a bit, but if anyone has a solution, that would be great. If I find it first, I'll post back here for the next person.

Mike

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 11:49 AM Mike Westerfield <mikewest...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi folks,

I am trying to install JEP on Windows 10 with Python 3.8.2.

When I install using "pip install jep", I get an error that says, in part, "Microsoft Visual C++ 14.1 is required."

When I install using "python setup.py build", I get "error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat".

From the documentation, both seem to indicate that I need to install Visual Studio. The first error indicates this should be Visual Studio 2017 15.0. From my Python, I find that the correct version should be "MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)". This appears to be Visual Studio 2017 15.9. Given contradictory information, I tried them both. Both give the same errors.

Does anyone have any tips or hints on how to get this install to work?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Westerfield

Mar 17, 2020, 4:09:23 PM3/17/20
to Jep Project
cl.exe is a VS command line tool. That's a slight misnomer, because apparently it doesn't run from PowerShell or other command line shells. You need to run `python setup.py install` from the VS Developer Command Prompt. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/tools/developer-command-prompt-for-vs.

Mike