Can JEP run on aarch64

Smokeriu

Dec 13, 2021, 10:43:45 PM12/13/21
to Jep Project
I am a new hand in Python. My Project use jep to call python in java.
It works perfectly on X86_64 machine.

Now I need to run JEP on aarch64.
Because the compilation environment is offline and very bad(I can't use Google at work and Importing files is a very difficult task).So I'd like to ask some questions in advance:

1. can jep run on aarch64 when i use pip install jep
2. If it doesn't work. What dependencies do I need to prepare if I want to compile it?

Thanks!

Nathan Jensen

Dec 14, 2021, 12:04:16 AM12/14/21
to Smokeriu, Jep Project
I don't know if anyone has tried it on aarch64.  You're the first who's asked.  You should try it, it might just work.  Jep is using Python's builtin distutils package to do the build, and that presumably has support for aarch64.  There aren't any special dependencies, you need Python and the JDK.  If you're on Linux you would also need the python developer package that has the headers.

Smokeriu

Dec 14, 2021, 4:59:11 AM12/14/21
to Jep Project
Thank you for your reply.
I will try to build it on aarch64 machine later.
If I meet some problem, I may need your help again. Thanks.

Paulo Lapa

Mar 2, 2022, 7:23:58 AM3/2/22
to Jep Project
Hi, I'm having trouble with running JEP on a M1 chip.

I already opened a ticket in GitHub: https://github.com/ninia/jep/issues/379 But I'll also paste the details here, in case someone has any idea

Environment (please complete the following information):

  • OS Platform, Distribution, and Version: macOS Monterey 12.1 with M1 chip
  • Python Distribution and Version: Miniforge 3.9
  • Java Distribution and Version: Temurin 11
  • Jep Version: 4.0.2
  • Python packages used (e.g. numpy, pandas, tensorflow): Numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, scipy

Logs
Please attach the complete console output of the build.
running jep

produces this output:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/plapa/miniforge3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/jep/jep.cpython-39-darwin.so: dlopen(/Users/plapa/miniforge3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/jep/jep.cpython-39-darwin.so, 0x0001): tried: '/Users/plapa/miniforge3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/jep/jep.cpython-39-darwin.so' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'arm64', need 'x86_64')), '/usr/lib/jep.cpython-39-darwin.so' (no such file)

Let me know if you have any idea!

Thanks,

Paulo