Jenkins UI/UX hackfest on May 25-29 - Getting started

Oleg Nenashev

May 24, 2020, 5:45:56 PM5/24/20
to JenkinsCI Developers, jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkins...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG, Jenkins Users

Dear Jenkins users and contributors,

The Jenkins UI/UX online hackfest has officially started! I am re-positing this announcement in the mailing list, just in case somebody would like to join the hackfest and needs quick-start guidelines. Any contributions will be welcome!

How to get started?

  1. Register to the event if you have not done it already.
  2. Join our Gitter channel. We will use it for Q&A and discussions during the event.
  3. Join the kick-off meeting (May 25, 1PM UTC) or watch the first 20 minutes of the recording. If you want to start early, we will also have a small opening session at 8AM UTC on May 25.
  4. You are all set, start contributing!

How to choose a project? Check out the project ideas. Find a project or an area interesting to you. If you do not have a strong preference, we recommend working on something that could improve your own experience and address the UX issues you hit with Jenkins personally. If you do not use Jenkins personally but want to explore it, consider working on newcomer-friendly issues or on documentation for newcomer users: getting started guides, tutorials, etc.

How to report contributions? We deployed a special GitHub repository which will be used to collect contributions and to generate reports from the event. Please report your code and non-code contributions as GitHub issues, there are issues templates for common types of contributions. You can find full guidelines here.

How to communicate? Here are the following communication channels at your disposal:

Project teams may also organize their own channels if needed.

How to learn more? We will be organizing a number of sessions during the event. You can find some of them listed here. We will also have office hours in two timezones during the event. See the Jenkins UI/UX Hackfest Calendar for the full list of events (iCal format).

More information? See the UI/UX hackfest page for all the information and links. There are answers to Frequently Asked Questions here. If you cannot find an answer to your question, please just ask in the Gitter chat.

Have a great week!

May the power be with you,

Oleg Nenashev

Jenkins UI/UX hackfest org team