Re: Changing Jenkins typography

Baptiste Mathus

Feb 25, 2020, 5:26:14 AM2/25/20
to Rick, Felix Queiruga, jbrueggen, jhartley, jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Adding the Jenkins UX SiG ML in CC for visibility as discussed during the last SiG meeting, and as allowed by Rick (thanks!).

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 2:01 AM Rick <ri...@jenkins-zh.cn> wrote:
Please go ahead. I just cannot use my g-mail sometimes due to the network issues.

From:  "Baptiste Mathus"<bma...@cloudbees.com>;
Date:  Fri, Feb 21, 2020 11:24 PM
To:  "Rick"<ri...@jenkins-zh.cn>;
Cc:  "Felix Queiruga"<fque...@cloudbees.com>; "jbrueggen"<jbru...@cloudbees.com>; "jhartley"<jhar...@cloudbees.com>;
Subject:  Re: Changing Jenkins typography

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the information!

Would you mind if I answer to your previous email CCing the public jenkins UX ML, so we keep everybody following/interesting by the Jenkins UX/UI initiative in the loop?

Thank you!

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 2:22 AM Rick <ri...@jenkins-zh.cn> wrote:
Hi Felix,

I’m glad that you reach out to me. You can find the advice about the font from below:

PingFang SC / Hiragino Sants GB for MacOS
Microsoft YaHei for windows

I hope that can help you.

Best regards,
Rick

At 2020-02-19 19:46:04, "Felix Queiruga" <fque...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

Hi Rick,

I'm reaching out to you as the head of the Chinese localization SIG because I have some questions regarding fonts for Chinese characters on Jenkins. Feel free to redirect our email or to point us to another person if you think it's best.

I'm one of the developers working on the Jenkins UI revamp as part of the UX SIG (https://jenkins.io/sigs/ux/). We are looking into revisiting the typography as part of the next iteration. We're aiming to update the font sizes and fonts.

We're researching which font to use on the new UI. Roboto is looking to be our best option ATM for several reasons:
  • It fits the material design aesthetic we're basing our efforts on.
  • It's already being used on the setup wizard and the jenkins.io page
We are aware that Roboto does not contain Chinese glyphs. Looking at the https://jenkins.io/zh/ site I notice that my Chrome gracefully falls back to using PingFang SC on OSX and NotoSans CJK JP on Linux.

My question is, is the font behaviour good enough? Can we be confident that we are not degrading the user experience by choosing Roboto?
We appreciate any input you may have on this matter.

Best regards,
Félix

--

Félix Queiruga

Frontend Engineer

CloudBees, Inc.

E: fque...@cloudbees.com

Felix Queiruga

Feb 26, 2020, 3:20:30 AM2/26/20
to Baptiste Mathus, Rick, jbrueggen, jhartley, jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Rick for the answer!

Rick

Feb 26, 2020, 3:33:03 AM2/26/20
to Felix Queiruga, Rick, jbrueggen, jhartley, jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Baptiste Mathus
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if there’s anything I can help.