Changes on basic typography

Felix Queiruga

Mar 6, 2020, 11:59:49 AM3/6/20
to Jenkins User Experience
Hi everybody,

Following the UX SIG's work, there is now an open PR to perform some change on the base typography settings of Jenkins.

PR: https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/4548

Summary of changes:
  • Move away from old and custom fonts and use the native fonts for each browser / OS combo (i.e. Segoe UI on Windows). This has the benefit of fitting the user OS while reducing the frontend payload.
  • Normalize font sizes towards a 14px font size for normal body copy. This size is the most commonly used on tools similar to Jenkins. Some UI elements may use 12px or 16px font sizes for contrast (i.e. form help messages).
  • Default line height has been upped to 1.5 times the font size, in order to improve legibility.
  • Update the headings hierarchy (see below). Headings have a 1.2 line height. Add CSS classes that mimic the heading styles so that they can be reused across the application.
  • Stop using bootstrap 3 on Jenkins core. Wasn't removed because some plugins may depend on it.

UI/UX feedback can be provided on the UX SIG gitter channel: https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/ux-sig?utm_source=share-link&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=share-link. The PR is mainly for technical review.

Cheers!

Slide

Mar 6, 2020, 12:09:48 PM3/6/20
to Felix Queiruga, Jenkins User Experience
While some of these changes may seem small, I think the overall impact is big. I like these changes a lot, so thank you for the work!

Felix Queiruga

Mar 9, 2020, 5:29:26 AM3/9/20
to Jenkins User Experience
Thank you, glad that you like them!

May I ask what changes did you perceive as small? UI work is truly finished and we appreciate all feedback. We can always do some fine-tuning on follow-up PRs.

Slide

Mar 9, 2020, 8:00:49 AM3/9/20
to Felix Queiruga, Jenkins User Experience
I didn't mean that the fonts were too small, just that some of the changes were not giant changes to the UI, they were subtle changes.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-ux/57f1d214-9c4e-4942-9080-2472a14d1118%40googlegroups.com.

Felix Queiruga

Mar 9, 2020, 8:06:55 AM3/9/20
to Jenkins User Experience
Ah got it, thank you for the clarification. We realized that it was probably better to keep the scope of this PR small because in the end what's sorely needed is sane typography defaults.

There are some changes we were thinking on proposing at this stage, such as using a bigger font size and restyling the hyperlinks that we did not end up following. We thought doing it would probably set this PR back a bit and cause a rather long discussion, and that maybe it would be better do a follow up iteration on this.