Webhook push data too long, caused pipeline git pull errror. it tips that Argument list too long.

Johnny shaw

Aug 25, 2022, 7:42:51 AM8/25/22
to Jenkins Users

Webhook push data too long, caused pipeline git pull errror. it tips that Argument list too long.

At present, on the gitlab hook, the length of the message text pushed is 1,301,714. The hook can normally trigger the operation of the pipeline. However, when the user-defined shared library code is pulled in the first step, the pull fails. The exception message is caused by: java.io IOException: error=7, Argument list too long.

I infer that the message data pushed by webhook was passed into the GIT command as a parameter, resulting in the execution of the GIT command exceeding the page limit of the Linux command line parameter (MAX_ARG_PAGES).

If I use a small gitlab text hook data, such as 1000 in length, GIT pull will pull the shared library code successfully.

The pipeline log (consoleText.txt) that I have uploaded to the attachment.

I raised this issue at JIRA, but it has not been resolved yet.

  https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/JENKINS-69423