"Changes" reference build/commit

Cristian Morales Vega

Oct 12, 2021, 4:40:36 PM10/12/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
In a multibranch pipeline I noticed that the first job in a branch
always has an empty list of "changes" (i.e.
https://<jenkins_server>/job/<job>/1/changes).
https://plugins.jenkins.io/git/#changelog-extensions mentions a
"Calculate changelog against a specific branch" option, but I can't
find it anywhere. Where is it? But actually I'm not even sure that's
what I want, shouldn't the "Changes" use the "Reference build" from
the Forensics API (https://plugins.jenkins.io/git-forensics/)?

What's the best I can currently achieve with Jenkins regarding the
"Changes" generation?

Ullrich Hafner

Oct 13, 2021, 6:59:19 AM10/13/21
to Jenkins Users

> Am 12.10.2021 um 22:40 schrieb Cristian Morales Vega <christian.m...@gmail.com>:
>
> In a multibranch pipeline I noticed that the first job in a branch
> always has an empty list of "changes" (i.e.
> https://<jenkins_server>/job/<job>/1/changes).
> https://plugins.jenkins.io/git/#changelog-extensions mentions a
> "Calculate changelog against a specific branch" option, but I can't
> find it anywhere. Where is it?

This option is available in the Git plugin configuration of a pipeline or freestyle job. I think it is (not yet?) available in a GitHub branch source, I don’t know why it is missing there. Maybe it would be helpful to create a feature request?

> But actually I'm not even sure that's
> what I want, shouldn't the "Changes" use the "Reference build" from
> the Forensics API (https://plugins.jenkins.io/git-forensics/)?

The forensics plugin actually knows those changes but does not render them in the UI. (The Git plugin actually records the ChangeLog and renders them. But the Git plugin does not know the concept of a reference build so far. I’m not sure if there is an API so that I can show those changes in my forensics plugin by using the UI of the Git plugin)

> What's the best I can currently achieve with Jenkins regarding the
> "Changes" generation?

Cristian Morales Vega

Oct 13, 2021, 12:02:26 PM10/13/21
On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 at 11:59, Ullrich Hafner <ullrich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Am 12.10.2021 um 22:40 schrieb Cristian Morales Vega <christian.m...@gmail.com>:
> > But actually I'm not even sure that's
> > what I want, shouldn't the "Changes" use the "Reference build" from
> > the Forensics API (https://plugins.jenkins.io/git-forensics/)?
> >

> The forensics plugin actually knows those changes but does not render them in the UI. (The Git plugin actually records the ChangeLog and renders them. But the Git plugin does not know the concept of a reference build so far. I’m not sure if there is an API so that I can show those changes in my forensics plugin by using the UI of the Git plugin)

Not sure I understand you here. But FWIW it's not just about having
them in the UI, it's about actually having a "changeset" (I think
that's the official Jenkins name for the concept). Lots of things,
like the Slack Notification plugin use that changeset for different
stuff (e.g. send Slack notifications to people in the changeset).
So I guess it would be a matter of the Git plugin depending on the
forensics plugin and using it to create the changeset.