Updates to the Blue Ocean plugin and a new Pipeline sub-project

Jeremy Hartley

Jun 17, 2019, 7:41:36 AM6/17/19
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello fellow Jenkins users and developers,

I am a product manager at CloudBees and have taken over responsibility for the Jenkins Blue Ocean sub-project. Over the last year, the teams working on Jenkins at CloudBees have looked at the initiative of overhauling the Jenkins user experience. This analysis led us to conclude that Blue Ocean is a great way to work with Jenkins Pipelines but that it’s not the best way to achieve the larger goal of overhauling the entire Jenkins user experience. Christina Noren's blog post on CloudBees and Jenkins gives a good update of the work we are doing at CloudBees on Jenkins overall. The CloudBees teams working on Jenkins are currently engaged in a discovery process to start a large project to modernize the overall user experience in Jenkins. This research goes beyond simple user interface updates and focuses on usability in addition to  modern aesthetics.

I believe that Pipeline is THE way that continuous integration and continuous delivery are best done in Jenkins. Therefore, I am proposing that we raise Pipeline to become a top-level sub-project within Jenkins.

Making Pipeline a top-level sub-project will:
  • Clearly tie Jenkins to CI/CD for new and existing Jenkins users
  • Make it easier for everyone to find documentation for using CI/CD Pipelines in Jenkins
  • Help the community and CloudBees to continue to improve and build out new features for Pipeline and to improve documentation and examples
  • Help clarify that Blue Ocean is a feature of Jenkins Pipeline

I look forward to getting your feedback. Thank you for your time.

Regards

Jeremy Hartley
Senior Product Manager
CloudBees, Inc.

Ullrich Hafner

Jun 18, 2019, 6:02:56 AM6/18/19
to Jenkins Users

Am 17.06.2019 um 13:17 schrieb Jeremy Hartley <jhar...@cloudbees.com>:

Hello fellow Jenkins users and developers,

I am a product manager at CloudBees and have taken over responsibility for the Jenkins Blue Ocean sub-project. Over the last year, the teams working on Jenkins at CloudBees have looked at the initiative of overhauling the Jenkins user experience. This analysis led us to conclude that Blue Ocean is a great way to work with Jenkins Pipelines but that it’s not the best way to achieve the larger goal of overhauling the entire Jenkins user experience.

Does this mean that blue ocean is dead and a new - even bigger - project will come? Wouldn’t it make more sense to start with smaller UI refactoring steps in the current UI rather than another large overall approach that may fail in the end? There is so much potential in the current UI that could be leveraged with small effort. (An overall approach still can be started in parallel. But now we have the problem that almost nobody is improving the classic UI side anymore because of the announcement of blue ocean.)

Christina Noren's blog post on CloudBees and Jenkins gives a good update of the work we are doing at CloudBees on Jenkins overall. The CloudBees teams working on Jenkins are currently engaged in a discovery process to start a large project to modernize the overall user experience in Jenkins. This research goes beyond simple user interface updates and focuses on usability in addition to  modern aesthetics.

Maybe it would also make sense if you could run such a discussions in public (dev list?) so that non-Cloudbees contributors can participate? At least during the initialization of blue ocean we had a lot of discussions with plugin authors about requirements for a new UI.

I believe that Pipeline is THE way that continuous integration and continuous delivery are best done in Jenkins. Therefore, I am proposing that we raise Pipeline to become a top-level sub-project within Jenkins.

Making Pipeline a top-level sub-project will:
  • Clearly tie Jenkins to CI/CD for new and existing Jenkins users
  • Make it easier for everyone to find documentation for using CI/CD Pipelines in Jenkins
  • Help the community and CloudBees to continue to improve and build out new features for Pipeline and to improve documentation and examples
  • Help clarify that Blue Ocean is a feature of Jenkins Pipeline

I look forward to getting your feedback. Thank you for your time.

Regards

Jeremy Hartley
Senior Product Manager
CloudBees, Inc.

Jeremy Hartley

Jun 19, 2019, 6:19:18 AM6/19/19
to Jenkins Users
Hi Ulrich,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll definitely cross post it to the Developers List.

In terms of your question about the UX overhaul. What you suggest makes a lot of sense. We are planning to start with a few small changes to improve the First TIme Wizard experience and then make some limited (mostly CSS-based) improvements to the the Jenkins UX while we gradually plan the larger UX overhaul. Our goal is to learn from Blue Ocean and not be in a position where we find that though good for Pipelines it is difficult to extend out to cover/replace the rest of the UX.

If you have any more comments or follow up I would be really happy to hear.

Thanks

Jeremy Hartley
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jenkins...@googlegroups.com.