Bind job to specific node

Nils Brinkmann

May 26, 2011, 1:26:11 AM5/26/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

I’m currently experimenting with Jenkins and got stuck at one point:

I have a Linux Master and connected a Windows Node. I’ve created some jobs for each OS (which of course does only work at their destined OS). I’m reading at different pages now, that it should be possible to bind a job to a specific node.

In the Node-Overview page there is a category saying something like “Jobs bound to xxx”, but I could not find a way to configure such a thing…

One source speaking about this feature is http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Distributed+builds#Distributedbuilds-Schedulingstrategy

So my question is: How can I configure a job to be bound to a specific node?

Best regards,

Nils Brinkmann

Slide

May 26, 2011, 1:29:09 AM5/26/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
You want to look at the option to "Restrict where this job runs" you can enter a node label (which can be applied to multiple nodes) or use the name of a specific node to tie it to that node.

slide

MOnsDaR

May 26, 2011, 1:37:17 AM5/26/11
to Jenkins Users
Where do I find this option? I cannot see anything like this in my job-
configuration.
I'm using Jenkins ver. 1.413.

On May 26, 7:29 am, Slide <slide.o....@gmail.com> wrote:
> You want to look at the option to "Restrict where this job runs" you can
> enter a node label (which can be applied to multiple nodes) or use the name
> of a specific node to tie it to that node.
>
> slide
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Nils Brinkmann <mons...@fettabernett.de>wrote:
>

> > I’m currently experimenting with Jenkins and got stuck at one point:
>
> > I have a Linux Master and connected a Windows Node. I’ve created some jobs
> > for each OS (which of course does only work at their destined OS). I’m
> > reading at different pages now, that it should be possible to bind a job to
> > a specific node.
>
> > In the Node-Overview page there is a category saying something like “Jobs
> > bound to xxx”, but I could not find a way to configure such a thing…
>
> > One source speaking about this feature is
> >http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Distributed+builds#Distribut...

Slide

May 26, 2011, 1:43:31 AM5/26/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
It shows up near the top right above "Advanced Project Options" for me.

"Restrict where this project can be run" with a checkbox before it and an input box below with a label or "Label Expression"

MOnsDaR

May 26, 2011, 1:44:45 AM5/26/11
to Jenkins Users
I've finally found that the option to "Restrict where this job runs"
is only available for free-style projects. I was using matrix
projects, which seems to lack these setting.
Is there any possibility of binding matrix-jobs to a specific node or
nodegroup? Perhaps a plugin?

Thanks for your support, helped me a lot!

On May 26, 7:29 am, Slide <slide.o....@gmail.com> wrote:
> You want to look at the option to "Restrict where this job runs" you can
> enter a node label (which can be applied to multiple nodes) or use the name
> of a specific node to tie it to that node.
>
> slide
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Nils Brinkmann <mons...@fettabernett.de>wrote:
>

> > I’m currently experimenting with Jenkins and got stuck at one point:
>
> > I have a Linux Master and connected a Windows Node. I’ve created some jobs
> > for each OS (which of course does only work at their destined OS). I’m
> > reading at different pages now, that it should be possible to bind a job to
> > a specific node.
>
> > In the Node-Overview page there is a category saying something like “Jobs
> > bound to xxx”, but I could not find a way to configure such a thing…
>
> > One source speaking about this feature is
> >http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Distributed+builds#Distribut...

MOnsDaR

May 26, 2011, 1:47:01 AM5/26/11
to Jenkins Users

MOnsDaR

May 26, 2011, 1:51:34 AM5/26/11
to Jenkins Users
And my final post:
I found out that matrix-jobs could be bound to specific nodes by
defining a slave-axis.
This post has just been done for giving others with the same problem a
solution where to search.