Even distribution of jobs

Fabian Cenedese

Jul 6, 2021, 3:46:26 AM7/6/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I have two nodes that are configured exactly the same.
The second one was added to get more throughput. But it
is not used if not necessary.
Example: Node 1 is running a job. Then I start another job.
Jenkins will also run it on Node 1 (with 2 executors). Only
if I run more than two jobs will Jenkins run them on Node 2.
However even with just two jobs they could be evenly
distributed over the available nodes to make use of the
CPU power. Both nodes are configured "use as much as
possible".

How can I configure the nodes or jobs so they make use
of as many nodes as possible, balancing the load over
all nodes?

Thanks

bye Fabi

Jonathan Mackenzie

Jul 6, 2021, 1:10:37 PM7/6/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
You can use the ScoringLoadBalabcer plugin:  https://plugins.jenkins.io/scoring-load-balancer/

Design yourself a good labels schema.

Fabian Cenedese

Jul 7, 2021, 2:20:15 AM7/7/21
At 17:16 06.07.2021, you wrote:

>You can use the ScoringLoadBalabcer plugin: <https://plugins.jenkins.io/scoring-load-balancer/>https://plugins.jenkins.io/scoring-load-balancer/

That sounds good, I'll try that out, thanks. Makes me wonder
why this isn't part of Jenkins itself.

bye Fabi

Fabian Cenedese

Jul 7, 2021, 2:49:23 AM7/7/21
At 17:16 06.07.2021, you wrote:

>You can use the ScoringLoadBalabcer plugin: <https://plugins.jenkins.io/scoring-load-balancer/>https://plugins.jenkins.io/scoring-load-balancer/

Unfortunately this isn't offered in the plugin manager. Do I have to install
it on the command line? Is it still available for Jenkins 2.x?

Thanks

bye Fabi

Jonathan Mackenzie

Jul 7, 2021, 2:24:07 PM7/7/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I am running 2.192 and I can see it in the plugin manager. Clicked the 'Available' tab then typed 'scoring' in the filter box and it showed right up.

Fabian Cenedese

Jul 10, 2021, 8:18:43 AM7/10/21
At 20:23 07.07.2021, Jonathan Mackenzie wrote:

>I am running 2.192 and I can see it in the plugin manager. Clicked the 'Available' tab then typed 'scoring' in the filter box and it showed right up.

It may have been with your version but it isn't offered anymore with the
current jenkins. Either it's not compatible anymore and was therefore
removed or there's a problem with the list of available plugins.

bye Fabi

Mark Waite

Jul 10, 2021, 8:22:26 AM7/10/21
to Jenkins Users
Or there's a problem locally for you.  I see that plugin as available to download with Jenkins 2.289.2 in my local installation.  I see that plugin as available to download with Jenkins 2.289.2 on ci.jenkins.io as well.

Mark Waite

bye  Fabi

Fabian Cenedese

Jul 10, 2021, 11:38:14 AM7/10/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

>It may have been with your version but it isn't offered anymore with the
>current jenkins. Either it's not compatible anymore and was therefore
>removed or there's a problem with the list of available plugins.
>
>Or there's a problem locally for you. I see that plugin as available to download with Jenkins 2.289.2 in my local installation. I see that plugin as available to download with Jenkins 2.289.2 on <http://ci.jenkins.io>ci.jenkins.io as well.

I would never rule out an error on my site. However searching in the
whole "Available" list with the browser didn't turn it up. So I didn't
find it. Only after entering "sco" in the filter did it finally show up
(smaller strings didn't work).
Is the "Available" list not the complete list (minus the installed
plugins)? I always assumed it is as there is no "page 2, 3, 4"
at the bottom or whatever. If it's not I find it somehow counter
intuitive to use the filter to produce more instead of less results.
That's usually not how a filter works.
I could install it and will see if this now changes the node load.

Thanks for your help.

bye Fabi