Error installing plugins for Jenkins 2.346.2

Sunil Mathew

Aug 5, 2022, 10:35:12 AM8/5/22
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am running into errors installing plugins on a new Jenkins
installation on Linux.

# cat /etc/redhat-release

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.9 (Maipo)

I followed the instructions here:
https://www.jenkins.io/doc/book/installing/linux/#red-hat-centos to
install Jenkins.

Here is the error:

java.security.cert.CertificateException: No subject alternative DNS
name matching updates.jenkins.io found.

at
java.base/sun.security.util.HostnameChecker.matchDNS(HostnameChecker.java:207)

at
java.base/sun.security.util.HostnameChecker.match(HostnameChecker.java:98)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkIdentity(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:459)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkIdentity(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:434)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:233)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:129)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1313)

Caused: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: No subject alternative
DNS name matching updates.jenkins.io found.

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.Alert.createSSLException(Alert.java:128)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:321)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:264)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:259)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1329)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.onConsumeCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:1204)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:1151)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLHandshake.consume(SSLHandshake.java:392)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:444)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:421)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.dispatch(TransportContext.java:178)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLTransport.decode(SSLTransport.java:164)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.decode(SSLSocketImpl.java:1152)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readHandshakeRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1063)

at
java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:402)

at
java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.afterConnect(HttpsClient.java:567)

at
java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.connect(AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.java:185)

at
java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream0(HttpURLConnection.java:1581)

at
java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1509)

at
java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl.getInputStream(HttpsURLConnectionImpl.java:245)

at
hudson.model.UpdateCenter$UpdateCenterConfiguration.download(UpdateCenter.java:1291)

Caused: java.io.IOException: Failed to load
https://updates.jenkins.io/download/plugins/git/4.11.4/git.hpi to
/var/lib/jenkins/plugins/git.jpi.tmp

at
hudson.model.UpdateCenter$UpdateCenterConfiguration.download(UpdateCenter.java:1302)

Caused: java.io.IOException: Failed to download from
https://updates.jenkins.io/download/plugins/git/4.11.4/git.hpi

at
hudson.model.UpdateCenter$UpdateCenterConfiguration.download(UpdateCenter.java:1336)

at
hudson.model.UpdateCenter$DownloadJob._run(UpdateCenter.java:1893)

at
hudson.model.UpdateCenter$InstallationJob._run(UpdateCenter.java:2205)

at
hudson.model.UpdateCenter$DownloadJob.run(UpdateCenter.java:1867)

at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)

at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)

at
hudson.remoting.AtmostOneThreadExecutor$Worker.run(AtmostOneThreadExecutor.java:121)

Can someone please let me know how to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Sunil

Mark Waite

Aug 5, 2022, 10:48:35 AM8/5/22
to Jenkins Users
On Friday, August 5, 2022 at 8:35:12 AM UTC-6 Sunil wrote:

I am running into errors installing plugins on a new Jenkins
installation on Linux.

java.security.cert.CertificateException: No subject alternative DNS
name matching updates.jenkins.io found.

Have you updated the operating system packages to the most recent releases?  We've seen issues in the past where a user installed the operating system and was unable to use current SSL certificates because their operating system had not been updated with the most recent packages.

# yum update

I actually prefer "yum upgrade" but https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/55777/in-centos-what-is-the-difference-between-yum-update-and-yum-upgrade warns that "yum update" may be the better choice for most users.

Mark Waite

Sunil Mathew

Aug 5, 2022, 11:00:12 AM8/5/22
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
These are the steps I followed as per the documentation:
wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/jenkins.repo \
https://pkg.jenkins.io/redhat-stable/jenkins.repo
rpm --import https://pkg.jenkins.io/redhat-stable/jenkins.io.key
yum upgrade
# Add required dependencies for the jenkins package
yum install java-11-openjdk
yum install jenkins
systemctl daemon-reload

systemctl enable jenkins
systemctl start jenkins
systemctl status jenkins

Is there a way to upload plugins through the console? I am able to
download the plugins using wget. Is there a way for me to install the
downloaded plugin?

Sunil

Mark Waite

Aug 5, 2022, 11:17:41 AM8/5/22
to Jenkins Users
On Friday, August 5, 2022 at 9:00:12 AM UTC-6 Sunil wrote:
These are the steps I followed as per the documentation:
wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/jenkins.repo \
https://pkg.jenkins.io/redhat-stable/jenkins.repo
rpm --import https://pkg.jenkins.io/redhat-stable/jenkins.io.key
yum upgrade
# Add required dependencies for the jenkins package
yum install java-11-openjdk
yum install jenkins
systemctl daemon-reload

systemctl enable jenkins
systemctl start jenkins
systemctl status jenkins

Is there a way to upload plugins through the console? I am able to
download the plugins using wget. Is there a way for me to install the
downloaded plugin?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19540289/how-to-fix-the-java-security-cert-certificateexception-no-subject-alternative suggests that exception is related to SSL certificates.  Maybe the yum upgrade needs to be followed by a restart of the computer?

https://blog.devgenius.io/rhel-centos-7-fix-for-lets-encrypt-change-8af2de587fe4 discusses more about certificate updates and CentOS 7.  Be sure that the ca-certificates package is installed and is the most recent release.

The Jenkins plugin installation manager tool (https://github.com/jenkinsci/plugin-installation-manager-tool/) can download plugins and their dependencies from a command line.  However, since it is a Java tool and you're seeing a Java exception, I suspect that it will report the same exception.

The plugin manager page in Jenkins will accept uploads as either files or as URLs.  However, the upload page does not automatically download dependent plugins.  Much better to fix whatever issues causes your computer to not allow Java to access SSL secured web sites.

Dirk Heinrichs

Aug 8, 2022, 1:28:44 AM8/8/22
Am Freitag, dem 05.08.2022 um 08:17 -0700 schrieb Mark Waite:

> Maybe the yum upgrade needs to be followed by a restart of the
> computer?

Usually not, unless it included a kernel update (and you wish to take
that into use right away). This isn't Windows, where you need to reboot
after every mouse move... 😉️

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs
Senior Systems Engineer, Delivery Pipeline
OpenText ™ Discovery | Recommind
Phone: +49 2226 15966 18
Email: dhei...@opentext.com
Website: www.recommind.de
Recommind GmbH, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach
Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer Gordon Davies, Madhu
Ranganathan, Christian Waida, Registergericht Amtsgericht Bonn,
Registernummer HRB 10646
error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in
this e-mail is strictly forbidden
Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-
Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den
Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie
die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.