Unable to Launch Node

eric....@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2022, 10:43:55 AMMar 18
to Jenkins Users
Hi!  I have a node that is unable to launch.  On the log it shows:

[03/18/22 09:39:01] [SSH] Copying latest remoting.jar... java.io.IOException: Could not copy remoting.jar into '/home/myuser/checkout' on agent at hudson.plugins.sshslaves.SSHLauncher.copyAgentJar(SSHLauncher.java:715) at hudson.plugins.sshslaves.SSHLauncher.access$300(SSHLauncher.java:112) at hudson.plugins.sshslaves.SSHLauncher$1.call(SSHLauncher.java:455) at hudson.plugins.sshslaves.SSHLauncher$1.call(SSHLauncher.java:422) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:750) Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid len argument at com.trilead.ssh2.SFTPv3Client.read(SFTPv3Client.java:1232) at com.trilead.ssh2.jenkins.SFTPClient$SFTPInputStream.read(SFTPClient.java:172) at com.google.common.io.ByteStreams.toByteArrayInternal(ByteStreams.java:184) at com.google.common.io.ByteStreams.toByteArray(ByteStreams.java:224) at hudson.plugins.sshslaves.SSHLauncher.readInputStreamIntoByteArrayAndClose(SSHLauncher.java:773) at hudson.plugins.sshslaves.SSHLauncher.copyAgentJar(SSHLauncher.java:684) ... 7 more

I've set my perms on the checkout dir to 777, so it's not that it doesn't have permission to write over the current remoting.jar that lives there. Anyone have any clues or further trouble shooting advise?
Running Jenkins 2.232.1 on RHEL 7.9.

Thanks - Eric

eric....@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2022, 11:10:56 AMMar 18
to Jenkins Users
Hmmm, I deleted the remoting.jar file and was able to restart Jenkins and the node came up.  Wonder if this is going to happen every we patch and boot this machine?

Ivan Fernandez Calvo

Mar 18, 2022, 1:17:56 PMMar 18
to Jenkins Users
The SSH Build Agents plugin make an sftp or scp (if one fail try the other) with the user configured in the Jenkins Agent to copy a file in the "Remote root directory" folder configured in the Agent config, nothing special, if the user configured in the Agent can make scp/sftp to copy a file in that folder it should not fail.

The point where the Agent fails to copy the file is interesting, it checks the value of the read bytes and fails if is <0 or >32768, I will bet the value is `-1` and it is related to read the remoting.jar from the Agent to check the md5, for some reason is returning an EOF

eric....@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2022, 3:50:52 PMMar 30
to Jenkins Users
Just did it again on me.  Deleting the file again to fix it but would be great if I could fix it.  Any advise?

Ivan Fernandez Calvo

Mar 30, 2022, 6:07:35 PMMar 30
to Jenkins Users
I do not really have too much data to know what exactly is going on, which version of the SSH build Agents and the trilead-api plugins are you using? Are you using the latest versions? Do the issue happen only in that agent? Which SSH server do you use and what version? Do you have any kind of transfer limit on that agent? my theory is that the sftp read operation fail because something cut it.

eric....@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2022, 2:50:22 PMApr 21
to Jenkins Users
SSH Build Agent is 1.31.2.  Trilead-api is 1.0.13.  It only happens once the server gets reboot.  It'll be chugging along for a few weeks fine, then as soon as the server gets reboot after the latest OS patches have been applied, I'll have to delete the remoting.jar file again.  A bit frustrating.

kuisathaverat

Apr 21, 2022, 3:25:19 PMApr 21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Does it happen only on one agent? if you disconnect the Agent and connect the agent again, Do you see the same issue?

checking the version you are using has about a year, the Jenkins Core you have can use the latest version. Checking the changes in 1.32 there is a change in the library used to read the file from the SFTP connection https://github.com/jenkinsci/ssh-slaves-plugin/pull/228 it changes to use Apache commons instead of Guava, there were some changes in the Guava libraries used in Jenkins recently and I wonder if it could be related, Could you update to the latest version of the Build SSH Agents plugin?