Kubernetes plugin for Jenkins after dockershim runtime is deprecated

Mario Rodriguez

Sep 29, 2021, 8:05:22 PM9/29/21
to Jenkins Users

Hello, Kubernetes project is planning to deprecate support for dockershim runtime is version 1.20 and fully drop it in version 1.24 as indicated here: https://kubernetes.io/blog/2020/12/02/dockershim-faq/

Reading about the impacts of dockershim removal here:  https://kubernetes.io/docs/tasks/administer-cluster/migrating-from-dockershim/check-if-dockershim-deprecation-affects-you/  and here https://kubernetes.io/docs/tasks/administer-cluster/migrating-from-dockershim/migrating-telemetry-and-security-agents/ ,  any apps that depend on the docker daemon by exposing /var/run/docker.sock will be impacted.  We use the Kubernetes plugin for Jenkins using this docker daemon exposure technique.

Assuming a transition from docker to containerd, any idea what changes will be needed by Kubernetes plugin users to continue working properly ?

thanks

Carlos Sanchez

Sep 30, 2021, 3:32:06 AM9/30/21
to Jenkins Users

Mario Rodriguez

Oct 26, 2021, 10:31:23 PM10/26/21
to Jenkins Users
and how about if we are using the kubernetes plugin podTemplate ?  more less like this:

podTemplate(cloud: 'kubernetes', label: args.pipelineName,
    containers: getContainers(...),
    volumes: [
        hostPathVolume(hostPath: '/var/run/docker.sock', mountPath: '/var/run/docker.sock'),
    ])  {
           gcloud auth configure-docker --account=jen...@myproject.iam.gserviceaccount.com
           docker build --pull -t ${env.btvImageFullName} -t ${env.btvLatestFullName} .
}

Carlos Sanchez

Oct 27, 2021, 3:15:29 PM10/27/21
to Jenkins Users