Automatically installed tools get updated on every use

Bjoern Hinrichs

Apr 14, 2021, 7:23:44 AM4/14/21
to Jenkins Users
Hi all,

since upgrading to Jenkins 2.263.4 we're experiencing the following issue:

We use Jenkins's feature to automatically install several build tools.
In this case, in Global Tool Configuration we have a Maven installation
"apache-maven-3.5.4" that uses "Extract *.zip/*.tar.gz" to install a zip
file located on a samba share. When a job (we use "conventional" jobs
here, not pipeline jobs) using this Maven installation runs, the zip
file gets copied to the agent and unzipped inside the correct
sub-directory  apache-maven-3.5.4.

Unfortunately, since our upgrade to 2.263.4, this happens every time,
even if the installer has already been run on the same agent. Inside the
sub-directory apache-maven-3.5.4 we can find a file .timestamp with the
same timestamp as the zip file on our samba share.

Most of our agents use more than one executor. When two jobs run in
parallel, we've seen it happen that one job "updates" the Maven
installation while another job is actively using it. The job that's past
the installation step then fails.

We didn't encounter this issue with Jenkins 2.107.3.

I couldn't find any hints on this issue in the changelog files for newer
versions of Jenkins, nor was I able to find any hints on this on
issues.jenkins.io.
Before I file a report myself: Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any
workarounds?

Best regards
Björn Hinrichs