Best practices add tags/labels/attributes to jobs and runs?

Cyrille Le Clerc

Sep 15, 2022, 5:30:07 AM9/15/22
to Jenkins Users
Dear Jenkins Community,

The Jenkins OpenTelemetry Plugin is looking at mechanism to add key-value tags/attributes to annotate the traces, logs, and metrics we produce from job executions.
These key-value

Can the community please help me understand what are the best practices to associate tags/attributes/labels to jobs and runs?

Note that I found the promising Job Tags plugin but it's value tags rather than key-value tags so it may be a challenge for my use case.

Cyrille

link89

Sep 25, 2022, 8:37:54 PM9/25/22
to Jenkins Users
How about creating a dedicated parameter to store tags?

Cyrille Le Clerc

Oct 4, 2022, 4:18:02 AM10/4/22
to Jenkins Users
Thanks link89.

I was hoping to be able to leverage existing standard Jenkins capabilities. Creating an OpenTelemetry specific tagging mechanism is indeed an option if we don't find standard solutions.