🎉 ☀️ Google Summer of Code 2021!! ☀️ 🎉

Kara de la Marck

Mar 9, 2021, 3:42:51 PM3/9/21
to Jenkins Developers, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
Hi all,

We are incredibly happy to announce that Jenkins has been accepted into GSoC 2021 as part of the Continuous Delivery Foundation GSoC organization. 🎉

Current Jenkins project idea proposals can be found here: https://www.jenkins.io/projects/gsoc/2021/project-ideas

There is still time to propose additional project ideas and to volunteer as a mentor on any project idea that interests you. GSoC is a fantastic opportunity to work with brilliant students from around the world seeking mentorship in open source! You can find additional information on our site: current project ideasproject idea submission guideexpectations from mentors, etc. If you have any questions, or want to get involved, we have a Gitter channel and a dedicated mailing list. Please join the Jenkins GSoC mailing list if you would like to be kept up to date on GSoC information. We also have GSoC office hours every Wednesday at 14:00 UTC.

Thank you to everyone who has been involved in GSoC so far this year and in past years. This will be the fifth year that the Jenkins project participates in GSoC!

Best wishes,
Kara de la Marck
Jenkins GSoC org team

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 9, 2021, 7:06:13 PM3/9/21
to Kara de la Marck, Jenkins Developers, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
Thanks to all org admins, mentors and contributors!

Rick

Mar 9, 2021, 7:25:41 PM3/9/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins Developers, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public, Kara de la Marck
Thanks for bring us the good news!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLDNwuUK29XSjsaUMgZoz8Lq_yY9S3gRbzxy7Mh%2Bj-XkRQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Vandana Soni

Mar 11, 2021, 7:29:22 AM3/11/21
to Oleg Nenashev, Kara de la Marck, Jenkins Developers, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
Hi Oleg, Kara and Team,

To start with I would like to introduce myself as a person passionate about learning new tech stack and new debugging methods for fixing critical prod issues in large microservice applications each day.

In the past, I have participated actively in events such as the Woman Tech Makers event organized by Google, Grace Hopper India to learn from the open-source community out there and exchange ideas.

I have overall 5 years of software experience in building Spring applications and working across various tech stack such as Microservice architecture, Messaging systems such as Kafka, RabbitMq, MongoDB and MySQL databases, Elastic Search APIs, indexing, Prometheus queries to build monitoring dashboards such as Grafana and Kibana, worked on versioning tool GIT, building microservice from scratch, etc.

I have worked in languages Node.js and Java.
P.S. Language is not a barrier as the intention is to learn and contribute each day as a Software developer.

I would love to work on one of the projects proposed by folks.
Please suggest the process as to how can I take part as a contributor for these projects. Awaiting your response :)

Cheers,
Vandana Soni
Passionate & Curious Developer

Darshan Kansagara

Mar 11, 2021, 7:57:13 AM3/11/21
to Vandana Soni, Oleg Nenashev, Kara de la Marck, Jenkins Developers, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
Hi Vandana,

Nice to hear and see your motivation to work and contribute to an opensource.
I would bet you will enjoy working with all developer folks.

To answer your question, And few suggestions and directions to select the project.
1. Identify your area of interest. Technology domain in which you are more interested and wants to deep dive into it.
2. See the already proposed GSOC-2021 Jenkins project, Get to know the objective of the Projects.
3. try to see around the codebase and try to run Jenkins locally. --> https://www.jenkins.io/participate/code/
4. If find any problem try to reach out to a mentor or any community member for any more help. --> Join gsoc channel

Regards
Darshan Kansagara

Kara de la Marck

Mar 11, 2021, 12:15:25 PM3/11/21
to Darshan Kansagara, Vandana Soni, Oleg Nenashev, Jenkins Developers, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
Hi Vandana,

Welcome to Jenkins GSoC!

In addition to Darshan's suggestions, you may want to attend the various Jenkins SIGs and our GSoC office hours, the schedule of which can be seen here: https://www.jenkins.io/events/. We realise not all the times are convenient for everyone, and that is why we consider these events as a resource, but in no way mandatory.

You may also want to look into these docs and the tutorials available: https://www.jenkins.io/doc/pipeline/tour/getting-started/

Best wishes,
Kara