Reference page was not taken down after plugin deprecation

Xin Shi

Mar 15, 2021, 4:49:18 PM3/15/21
to Jenkins Documentation

Hi Jenkins docs team,

We have a plugin has been deprecated via this PR - Remove azure-iot-edge plugin from distribution by formulahendry · Pull Request #479 · jenkins-infra/update-center2 (github.com) in Jan but the reference page Azure IoT Edge Plugin (jenkins.io) was not taken down. People can still reach to that page via google search, which is quite confusing.

I raised this issue in Gitter chatroom, halkeye mentioned probably the reason is that https://ci.jenkins.io/job/Infra/job/backend-extension-indexer/job/master/ has been failing since early Feb.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Xin

Mark Waite

Mar 15, 2021, 5:25:31 PM3/15/21
to Jenkins Documentation
Thanks for noting that failing job.  We'll need to investigate further.  That job is generating the automatic documentation for extension points (like Azure artifact manager plugin).  I don't think that job is involved in generating the Pipeline steps reference pages.

I believe the pipeline steps reference pages (like the Azure IoT pipeline step reference page) are updated by the pipeline steps doc generator.  However, it will need more investigation to understand why it has not been removed from the Pipeline steps reference.

Could you create an INFRA ticket at https://issues.jenkins.io to describe the problem?

As far as I can tell, the azure-iot-edge plugin has been correctly removed from:
It has not been removed from:
I suspect the problem lies in the pipeline steps doc generator.  I see that the console output of the job mentions the azure-iot-edge plugin, but don't have a ready explanation how that job is finding the plugin, since it is not available from updates.jenkins.io (though old versions are still available from get.jenkins.io https://get.jenkins.io/plugins/azure-iot-edge/ )

Mark Waite

Gavin Mogan

Mar 15, 2021, 5:47:57 PM3/15/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Sooooooo
digging into it a bit more, that job is a red herring. Sure its failing, but the artifacts are not used (at least for this)

https://github.com/jenkins-infra/pipeline-steps-doc-generator/blob/master/Jenkinsfile#L21-L31 is using that repo directly, and it is building just fine in there.

It looks like that repo is using update-center directly - https://github.com/jenkins-infra/backend-extension-indexer/blob/master/pom.xml#L60 which would include the artifact file in the resources.
Updating it to latest release (3.4.6) breaks because package / classes got renamed. Quick scan most of the classes still exist, so it shouldn't take long to try and fix it. I can make an attempt this week if nobody gets to it first.

Gavin

Xin Shi

Mar 15, 2021, 6:03:12 PM3/15/21
to Jenkins Documentation
Thanks Mark and Gavin. I just created this bug [INFRA-2933] Reference page was not taken down after plugin deprecation - Jenkins Jira to track this (before I saw Gavin's comment, and thanks a lot for the details and the plan!). Let me know anything you need from my end. Thanks again.