state of translations of Jenkins

Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior

May 28, 2022, 12:56:10 PM5/28/22
to Jenkins Documentation
Hello again folks,

Yesterday I decided to play around with jtt and try to fetch all language codes and their respective status of translations. Here is what I got:

~/Projects/jenkins$ jtt --all
pt_BR -> 99.6122152205526
it -> 87.8332525448376
zh_TW -> 75.1333010179351
de -> 70.2375181774115
ja -> 61.2215220552593
sr -> 60.4459524963645
es -> 55.5986427532719
da -> 45.5162384876394
fr -> 44.5952496364518
pl -> 37.9544352884149
ru -> 37.905962190984
lt -> 32.6223945710131
nl -> 27.5327193407659
tr -> 20.8434318952981
lv -> 16.8686379059622
sv_SE -> 16.4808531265148
ko -> 14.9781871061561
sk -> 13.3301017935046
fi -> 11.4396509936985
hu -> 10.8579738245274
cs -> 10.4217159476491
pt_PT -> 10.1793504604944
uk -> 9.98545807077072
he -> 8.38584585555017
ca -> 6.34997576345129
et -> 6.15608337372758
ro -> 5.23509452253999
sl -> 4.94425593795444
el -> 4.60494425593795
es_AR -> 4.3141056713524
zh_CN -> 0.727096461463888
en_GB -> 0.193892389723703

I'm not so sure if the language codes are actually correct, but I believe the percentages are correct.

In the case you might want to check that for yourselves, this POC is available at the branch feature/all_languages.

Regards,

Alceu

Mark Waite

May 28, 2022, 9:25:06 PM5/28/22
to Jenkins Documentation
Thanks so much for that report and for your contributions to the Brazilian Portuguese translation of Jenkins.

Would you also be willing to contribute translations to the plugins that are registered at https://crowdin.jenkins.io ?  We're trying a tool that helps translators have a better experience creating and reviewing translations

Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior

May 29, 2022, 12:26:28 PM5/29/22
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Happy to help Mark!

I wasn't so sure what kind of help you're looking for, but I decided to give Crowdin a shot and translated two plugins to Brazilian Portuguese.

The tool is very easy to learn and use. You can compare it with a web tool developed by Debian Linux developers, but the interface is cleaner and provides suggestions, that while were not always useful in the sense you could just choose from and translation is done, but actually helpful to not get stuck.

It also provides a vote system, but I couldn't obviously get into that.

So, yes, it's appropriate for end users that are not acquainted with a shell, IDE and Git. On the other hand, I guess a person that uses Jenkins should be acquainted with such tools, so the lack of context (there is a fancy interface between the translation and what Jenkins actually is) might be a problem.

Another point, I couldn't test how the tool would behave if two people try to translate the same thing at the same time, something that I have the impression that the Debian web tool doesn't do properly.

Since Crowndin seems to be proprietary, that might be an issue, especially if costs would come up sometime in the future (currently, I guess that there is no cost associated) or the tool just ceases to exist.

Finally, not sure how those files would be integrated back to Jenkins' Github repository, that might be a problem (or not).

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Alceu