Update on Blue Ocean Status from CloudBees

Jeremy Hartley

Nov 27, 2019, 11:51:34 AM11/27/19
to Jenkins Developers
There has been some confusion for a while about the status of Blue Ocean. As the product manager for Jenkins at CloudBees I would like to provide an update on CloudBees point of view with regards to the status of Blue Ocean.

CloudBees Point of View

Jenkins is not going anywhere and it needs a modern, up-to-date, UX for the next ten years of the projects’ life. CloudBees is investing in transformatively improving the Jenkins UI/UX. We have started a project to revamp the Jenkins User Experience and launched a new User Experience Special Interest Group (SIG) to involve the open source community in this process.

CloudBees does not believe that Blue Ocean is the most appropriate vehicle with which to make these changes. As such, we will focus on alternative approaches and we will not be working on any major new functionality within Blue Ocean.

As we implement improvements to the Jenkins UI and UX, the Blue Ocean pipeline experience will remain relevant to users for quite some time. The work on the new UX will be prioritised and due to the relative modernity of the Blue Ocean pipeline UX, it is not a candidate to be replaced early on in the process. During this time we will selectively address significant security issues and functional defects.

As a part of the Jenkins OSS project, we encourage community contributions that resolve functional issues and add small enhancements to Blue Ocean. We intend to merge worthy community PRs and release these at a regular cadence.

Any questions are of course welcome

Thanks

Jeremy Hartley