Two week break in LTS schedule at end of 2023

Mark Waite

Oct 16, 2023, 10:12:50 AM10/16/23
to Jenkins Developers
I've been assuming a two week break in the LTS schedule at the end of 2023 as we've done in the past.  That assumption is embedded in the Jenkins enhancement proposal for the 2+2+2 Java Support Plan.

The dates with a two week break would be:

  • Nov 15, 2023 - Jenkins 2.426.1 release

  • Dec 13, 2024 - Jenkins 2.426.2 release

  • Jan 24, 2024 - Jenkins 2.426.3 release (assuming two week skip for holidays

With that two week break, Oct 2, 2023 would be the last LTS version to support Java 11, with the first LTS version to require Java 17 on Oct 30, 2024.

The two week break also makes it easier for those who are taking time off at the end of the year.

Are there strong objections to the Jenkins project taking the customary two week break at the end of the 2023 calendar year? Weekly releases will continue during that time, but the time between 2.426.2 and 2.426.3 will increase from 4 weeks to 6 weeks.

Mark Waite

Kevin Martens

Oct 16, 2023, 10:21:09 AM10/16/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1 from me, thanks for considering the holidays and everything Mark!

Kevin Martens
Technical Content Developer
CloudBees, Inc.

E: kmar...@cloudbees.com

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Kris Stern

Oct 16, 2023, 10:32:16 AM10/16/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1

Sad that I made so many date related mistakes in a mail message focused on dates.  Corrections below:

On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 8:12:50 AM UTC-6 Mark Waite wrote:
I've been assuming a two week break in the LTS schedule at the end of 2023 as we've done in the past.  That assumption is embedded in the Jenkins enhancement proposal for the 2+2+2 Java Support Plan.

The dates with a two week break would be:

  • Nov 15, 2023 - Jenkins 2.426.1 release

  • Dec 13, 2024 - Jenkins 2.426.2 release

* Dec 13, 2023 - Jenkins 2.426.2 release

  • Jan 24, 2024 - Jenkins 2.426.3 release (assuming two week skip for holidays

With that two week break, Oct 2, 2023 would be the last LTS version to support Java 11, with the first LTS version to require Java 17 on Oct 30, 2024.

With that two week break, Oct 2, 2024 would be the last LTS version to support Java 11, with the first LTS version to require Java 17 on Oct 30, 2024.

Alexander Brandes

Oct 16, 2023, 1:00:48 PM10/16/23
to Jenkins Developers
Within the corrections, I'm +1 still :)