Problematic releases

DuMaM

Nov 27, 2022, 4:54:10 PM11/27/22
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I was able to finally catch up with package versions inside my plugin, after adopting it.
I would like to enable CD for it, but sadly, there are two problems, which block me.

First one is with Dependabot. I don't understand why, but it's constantly piking up an incremental dependency version for a crowd2.
https://github.com/jenkinsci/crowd2-plugin/pull/137
Does anybody know why this is happening? I was playing around a bit, but without luck.

Second issue is connected to release drafter, I found a bug which blocks me in adding CD.
https://github.com/release-drafter/release-drafter/issues/1269
Apparently there is a solution for it, but I was not merged yet.
I would be grateful if somebody could take a look at it.

Thanks,
Bartosz

John Patrick

Nov 27, 2022, 5:20:10 PM11/27/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I think you need to edit Dependabot something like this https://github.com/jenkinsci/crowd2-plugin/pull/138 PR. Specifically ignore '*-QR*', might be able to be added into the existing, but i'm not sure without trying it for real.

Dependabot will see anything in the repo's configured, as all the incremental dependencies are published to what I think is a 'release' repo, and not a 'snapshot' repo. So then Dependabot will see them.
Also the QR in the name, I've never seen in the version pattern before, so might not be skipped. If they were doing releases without that then your current config might work as you expect.

John

DuMaM

Nov 27, 2022, 5:25:08 PM11/27/22
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks for this prompt reply.
According to GitHub Dependabot config, patterns used in “ignore version” property should follow the ecosystem version filtering systems.
For maven there is not too much to work with according to this page → https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/1212/core/MAVEN/maven_version.htm#MAVEN402
So I don't think wild cards will work here. :(

Basil Crow

Nov 27, 2022, 6:06:41 PM11/27/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/dependabot/dependabot-core/blob/c5e5b827af80f60482262ffca0bd9a2bb7a4d73d/maven/lib/dependabot/maven/update_checker/version_finder.rb
attempts to filter out prereleases and date-based versions, but in my
experience that logic is far from perfect.

DuMaM

Nov 27, 2022, 7:48:46 PM11/27/22
to Jenkins Developers
Can plugins use Renovate as it is done for core? Maybe it will work better?

How about this release drafter problem?

Alexander Brandes

Nov 28, 2022, 2:19:26 AM11/28/22
to Jenkins Developers
> Can plugins use Renovate as it is done for core?

For sure, if you request the addition to your repository, someone will approve it.

DuMaM

Nov 28, 2022, 6:54:02 PM11/28/22
to Jenkins Developers
How about this release drafter problem?

Basil Crow

Nov 28, 2022, 8:53:49 PM11/28/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 3:54 PM DuMaM <nowak.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How about this release drafter problem?

For your Release Drafter problem I would recommend following up in
https://github.com/release-drafter/release-drafter/issues/1269 or
https://github.com/release-drafter/release-drafter/pull/1255. Release
Drafter is not part of the Jenkins project.

DuMaM

Nov 29, 2022, 5:21:20 PM11/29/22
to Jenkins Developers
By chance, I found a solution for release drafter problem. I set this up using videos about plugin modernization. Luckily, in March there was an option added called “tag-prefix”, which solved my issues.