Backporting for LTS 2.401.2 has started

Kris Stern

Jun 2, 2023, 11:20:02 PM6/2/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Backporting for 2.401.2 has started, and the RC is scheduled for Wednesday, June 14th, 2023.

Candidates: https://issues.jenkins.io/issues/?filter=12146

Best,

Kris

Alexander Brandes

Jun 4, 2023, 4:02:02 AM6/4/23
to Jenkins Developers
It appears you forgot to select issues you want to backport. The query is empty.

Kris Stern

Jun 4, 2023, 2:33:51 PM6/4/23
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Alex,

Actually yes, the selected issues are blank right now as there has been no issue tagged with the "lts-candidate" label yet. Let me go through all suitable candidates and add this label soon. Meanwhile, if any issue is recommended to be included in this release, please do let me know.

Cheers,
Kris

Jun 9, 2023, 11:17:40 AM6/9/23
to Jenkins Developers
As others have noted, there is not really anything to backport at the
moment. How do others feel about backporting #7990 and #8065?

Context: Without dropping support for javax.inject, these changes add
support for jakarta.inject annotations, allowing a migration to begin
once plugins select a baseline that includes these changes.

The changes have shipped in a weekly without any issues. From my
perspective the backport is low-risk and would allow us to begin the
jakarta.inject migration sooner throughout the rest of the plugin
ecosystem rather than waiting for the next LTS line.

On the other hand, this does go against our usual policy of not
backporting changes with API surface area, so I do not feel strongly
about this backport either way.

If acceptable, I would be happy to create the backport PR.

Mark Waite

Jun 9, 2023, 11:26:36 AM6/9/23
to Jenkins Developers
I am +1 for that backport.  I think it makes sense to begin that migration sooner.

Mark Waite

Jun 9, 2023, 11:34:15 AM6/9/23
to Jenkins Developers
On Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 12:33:51 PM UTC-6 Kris Stern wrote:
Hi Alex,

Actually yes, the selected issues are blank right now as there has been no issue tagged with the "lts-candidate" label yet. Let me go through all suitable candidates and add this label soon. Meanwhile, if any issue is recommended to be included in this release, please do let me know.

Cheers,
Kris

I would like to inform users earlier about end of life operating systems, if that difference from the standard LTS backporting rules would be allowed.

Specifically, we would backport:
That would make the operating system end of life warning visible to LTS users 8 weeks before it would naturally become visible.

This is backporting a feature, so I am also just fine if this is rejected, since it is not according to the standard backporting rules where we rarely backport features to an LTS line.

I would revise the blog post that announces the end of life operating system warning to state that the warning is available to LTS users in 2.401.2

Mark Waite

Basil Crow

Jun 9, 2023, 1:01:52 PM6/9/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
That makes sense to me, and I think an exception is justified for
time-sensitive areas, such as EOL notifications. The feature has been
in weeklies without any reports of regression.

Tim Jacomb

Jun 9, 2023, 1:11:26 PM6/9/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1 for EOL Monitor

Alexander Brandes

Jun 9, 2023, 1:26:54 PM6/9/23
to Jenkins Developers
+1 for the monitor, works well on my CentOS 7 instance.

Kris Stern

Jun 10, 2023, 1:17:00 AM6/10/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Basil Crow
Sure @Basil Crow please go ahead with a backporting PR, and ping me there as well.