Community channel on Gitter

Tracy Miranda

Sep 13, 2018, 7:46:20 AM9/13/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We have a jenkins-community channel on irc which is a bit in decline with low volume of discussion and spam-filled. I would like to suggest we deprecate that channel and instead start up a Gitter channel for community oriented discussions e.g. topics like conferences, speaking, outreach, diversity.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Tracy

~~~
Tracy Miranda
Director of Open Source Community, CloudBees
@tracymiranda

Daniel Beck

Sep 13, 2018, 9:32:49 AM9/13/18
to Jenkins Developers

> On 13. Sep 2018, at 13:46, Tracy Miranda <tmir...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> spam-filled

There shouldn't be any spam at least for the past 6 weeks. Could you clarify?

Tracy Miranda

Sep 13, 2018, 9:48:35 AM9/13/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Old spam messages don't go away, so every time I go to post something it's spam filled and I imagine everyone has abandoned it.

Anyway, I don't want to get hung up on that bit but focus on the fact many of the most active chats (SIGS, gsocs, evergreen, etc) are happening in gitter so we should switch community to there and reinvigorate it.

Tracy

Daniel Beck

Sep 13, 2018, 10:28:57 AM9/13/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 13. Sep 2018, at 15:48, Tracy Miranda <tmir...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> many of the most active chats (SIGS, gsocs, evergreen, etc) are happening in gitter so we should switch community to there and reinvigorate it

That makes sense, but I wonder whether it's because Gitter is inherently more accessible, or because these are the most active areas in the project right now.

I think it could be useful to establish such a channel, but starting by abandoning IRC seems a bit much.

Tracy Miranda

Sep 13, 2018, 10:43:37 AM9/13/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
To be clear I am not saying abandon irc, just the jenkins-community channel.

Mario Jauvin

Sep 13, 2018, 11:07:26 AM9/13/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I think it is a fantastic idea 💡

Mario François Jauvin
MFJ Associates, (613) 366-5693, option 1
Sent from my iPhone

R. Tyler Croy

Sep 13, 2018, 11:48:28 AM9/13/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018, Tracy Miranda wrote:

> We have a jenkins-community channel on irc which is a bit in decline with
> low volume of discussion and spam-filled. I would like to suggest we
> deprecate that channel and instead start up a Gitter channel for community
> oriented discussions e.g. topics like conferences, speaking, outreach,
> diversity.

I suggest creating the channel if you haven't already and trying it out.

As the founder of #jenkins-community, I do not intend to delete the channel
until there's sufficient momentum in a Gitter-based channel if that's where
folks want to go.

For my part, I've declared bankruptcy on communication channels so don't expect
to see me join any new ones any time soon :P

signature.asc

Tracy Miranda

Sep 13, 2018, 12:01:52 PM9/13/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Good plan.
Huh, didn't know I had access to do that, cool done here: https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/jenkins-community

Anyone who would like to discuss community related topics, please join there!

Tracy

David Lin

Sep 13, 2018, 7:11:09 PM9/13/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps this plugin could be useful in a transition effort.

 - David

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 4:48 PM, R. Tyler Croy <ty...@monkeypox.org> wrote:
(replies inline)

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018, Tracy Miranda wrote:

> We have a jenkins-community channel on irc which is a bit in decline with
> low volume of discussion and spam-filled. I would like to suggest we
> deprecate that channel and instead start up a Gitter channel for community
> oriented discussions e.g. topics like conferences, speaking, outreach,
> diversity.

I suggest creating the channel if you haven't already and trying it out.

As the founder of #jenkins-community, I do not intend to delete the channel
until there's sufficient momentum in a Gitter-based channel if that's where
folks want to go.

For my part, I've declared bankruptcy on communication channels so don't expect
to see me join any new ones any time soon :P

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 16, 2018, 4:03:24 PM9/16/18
to Jenkins Developers
Gitter is OK for me.

I think we should be moving towards Community SIG (or Community Development) so the related activities get more transparency and, hopefully, contributors. Moving a chat to Gitter is a right step towards this direction, there is much more activity in Jenkins channels there now.

Probably we should also move Governance meetings to Gitter or another more visible channel. Since we moved meetings out from #jenkins, there are only few people joining the conversations regularly. Some refresh there could help.

BR, Oleg

Slide

Sep 16, 2018, 6:37:26 PM9/16/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Gitter is nice because it's a simple web page. There are some drawbacks (moderation and so forth isn't as good as IRC if I recall) but it's a nice platform in general.