Splitting aws-java-sdk

Vincent Latombe

Sep 21, 2021, 9:22:49 AM9/21/21
to Jenkins Dev
Hello,

When this plugin was created back in 2015, it was 19,4Mb.
AWS has added so many apis over the years that it has now exploded and weights 195Mb.

I'm considering splitting it per module so that each Jenkins plugin that needs AWS SDK depends on exactly what it needs.

I filed tentatively https://github.com/jenkinsci/aws-java-sdk-plugin/pull/528/ as a way to do this and I went already through some of the downstream usages to determine what modules were required.
The existing plugin (aws-java-sdk) would still exist but depend on the new plugins, and downstream consumers would be able to replace it by the new modules they need.

So far, I listed the following:
* aws-java-sdk-cloudformation
* aws-java-sdk-codebuild
* aws-java-sdk-ec2
* aws-java-sdk-ecr
* aws-java-sdk-ecs
* aws-java-sdk-elasticbeanstalk
* aws-java-sdk-iam
* aws-java-sdk-kms
* aws-java-sdk-s3
* aws-java-sdk-ssm
* aws-java-sdk-sts
* jmespath-java

Any concern with this proposal? Are there modules I may have missed ? Please let me know.

Regards,

Vincent

Jesse Glick

Sep 21, 2021, 10:06:23 AM9/21/21
to Jenkins Dev
Good idea! Please add whatever contains `com.amazonaws.services.logs` as this is used by `pipeline-cloudwatch-logs`.

Vincent Latombe

Sep 22, 2021, 6:10:58 AM9/22/21
to Jenkins Dev
Added,

I'll cut a release at the end of this week with the new structure.

Vincent