CDF Technical Oversight Committee - Jenkins project representative nominations

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 30, 2021, 5:20:42 PM4/30/21
to JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Governance Board
Dear all,

CDF has just announced the new elections for project representatives to the CDF Technical Oversight Committee. This entity facilitates communication and collaboration among the Technical Projects, and also makes key decisions on topics like project graduation. Four seats in the CDF TOC are dedicated to CDF project representatives. It is important to have a Jenkins representative in the CDF TOC so that the community interests are represented at the CDF level.

Kohsuke is our current representative, and his term has expired in February 2021. There will be new elections, and now the Jenkins project is not guaranteed to have a TOC seat. Each of 6 projects is expected to nominate one candidate, and then there will be elections by CDF members (6 candidates for four seats). We need to nominate a single candidate from the Jenkins project by May 14th, see the full timeline in the forwarded email below.

The Jenkins Governance Board has discussed the nominations and agreed to follow the public nomination and confirmation process. Due to the short timeframe, we do not want to invent a new voting/nomination process.
  • We encourage all community members to submit nominations in this thread. All nominations are to be submitted by the governance meeting on May 05. The Jenkins Governance Board will also make a nomination this weekend.
  • Community members are welcome to cast their votes asynchronously in the mailing list or at the governance meeting (7PM UTC on May 05)
  • If there is a strong consensus about the candidate, we will make a final decision at the Governance meeting on May 05. Otherwise, we will run elections from May o5 to May 13 using the mailing list or CIVS (to be decided at the meeting).
  • As for governance board and officer elections, the Jenkins Governance Board reserves the right to vet candidates. We have never needed this right before though.
Please submit nominations in this thread! If you have any concerns about the process or the candidates you'd like to share privately, please contact us using jenkins...@googlegroups.com. If your concern is related to a board member, contact other board members using private email.

Best regards and thanks for your time!
Jenkins Governance Board

May 1, 2021, 12:20:50 AM5/1/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins Governance Board, JenkinsCI Developers
Hi the community,

I’d like to nominate Oleg Nenashev to be the candidate of TOC.

As we all know, he plays a very important role in the Jenkins community for a long time. He contributed his time a lot. I only know a part of those events, but it’s not all. Such as:

  • GSoC admin and mentor for almost every year (I didn’t participant all)
  • As a maintainer and reviewer among the Jenkins core and many plugin projects
  • He is super friendly for every single newcomer
  • He helped organized many online ( or offline) meetups
  • He helped to maintain Jenkins social media, such as twitter, LinkedIn
  • And more

Best regards,
Rick

Matt Sicker

May 1, 2021, 4:30:15 PM5/1/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I second that nomination!

Mark Waite

May 1, 2021, 11:57:11 PM5/1/21
to jenkinsci-dev
Strong agreement from me on the nomination of Oleg as our representative.

If you'd like a list of reasons why I think Oleg would be a great representative to CDF, please see my nomination of him as Top CDF Ambassador.  Yes, in addition to all the rest that Oleg does, he is also an official CDF Ambassador.

Mark Waite

Oleg Nenashev

May 2, 2021, 6:46:30 PM5/2/21
to Jenkins Developers
Dear all,

Thanks a lot for the nomination and feedback! I am really humbled and grateful for that, and I appreciate the trust from the community members. I am ready to run for the CDF Jenkins representative nomination and for the TOC seat. I have been participating in the CDF TOC meetings since May 2020, and I have been handling other project representative responsibilities like providing project updates and communicating news back to the Jenkins community. I would be happy to continue doing so in the official capacity, or to help any other contributor nominated by the Jenkins community.

If I get elected, my key priorities will be representing the Jenkins community interests in the TOC (process, standards and tooling, ecosystem promotion, etc.) and driving changes towards better interoperability between Jenkins and other CI/CD projects. I will also work with other stakeholders in the CDF Governance Board, Outreach Committee and SIGs where needed, and will do my best to get more contributors and Jenkins SIGs involved in the higher CDF level activities. I believe that the cooperation between Jenkins and the CDF could bring us a lot of wins to all sides, and a TOC project representative is a key role for such initiatives.

At the same time, full transparency is needed IMHO. We discussed the nomination topic with the Jenkins governance board, and 3 of 4 other board members are ready to support my nomination. I'll let the board members summarize the positive facts if they want, and focus on the concerns brought up in that discussion. There were 2 concerns discussed: my bandwidth due to many other responsibilities (Jenkins core maintenance, JFR, Jenkins Governance Board, acting Events Officer, etc.), and a very serious burnout I had this winter. The latter is kinda public on Twitter, hence it would be fair to share it here. So, a quick summary for these topics:
  • I already participate in the CDF TOC meetings and other day to day activities. If I get elected, not that much will change in principle. I will also work on having other Jenkins community members participating from time to time so that I am not a single point of failure. The details are TBD.
  • My burnout was caused by multiple personal and work factors, but the Jenkins community is not one of them. In fact, it is quite opposite. The work I am currently doing in the community helps me to recover faster by focusing on objectives I am motivated about.
  • At the moment I am more focused on the community programs work than before, especially during last autumn and winter. It gives me some time, including working time I can dedicate to Jenkins governance and the CDF representation. You may have noticed I deliver much less code than I used to. Actually little to no code commits... My current state does not allow coding efficiently, and it will take a while until I am back to normal. My employer is aware of that, and gives me the opportunity to recover and focus on other areas important to the company including the Jenkins community. And yes, in the case you wonder, my company has been VERY supportive.
  • I am working on sharing some of my routine work with other contributors. You may have seen a call for event organizers in social media, and we are making progress there. I also plan a few other actions which will increase my bandwidth, by mentoring contributors in other areas.
  • There were some unplanned changes like me leading GSoC again together with other org admins, but I am well aware about my bandwidth limits. Yeah, more aware than ever. Please be sure I have zero interest in overcommitting and burning out again.
If anyone has second thoughts after this message, please do not hesitate to adjust your votes, or to vote against and nominate other candidates. CDF project representative is an important role, and it is our joint interest in nominating the best possible candidate. I am available to provide more details here or to chat via private messages.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Rick

May 2, 2021, 9:41:09 PM5/2/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins Developers
Having more motivative contributors is crucial for the community. Sharing your routine or stories to us might be a good way to let those who is interested in the community contribution even leading. If there’s any chances I’d like to take some responsibility.

Like you said, getting support from the employer is quite important. I’d like to say a big thanks for all the companies that support open-source.

Best regards,
Best

Oleg Nenashev

May 3, 2021, 4:31:13 PM5/3/21
to Jenkins Developers
> Having more motivative contributors is crucial for the community. Sharing your routine or stories to us might be a good way to let those who is interested in the community contribution even leading. If there’s any chances I’d like to take some responsibility.

Thanks, it is much appreciated. Just FYI, there is a pending proposal to the board about making our governance activities more open and shareable with others. Likely it will be an additional GitHub Repo with Issues for initiatives/backlog + more frequent roadmap updates. It should help other contributors to pick up tasks including the CDF related ones. We need to reduce the bus factor and let others to be involved.

> Like you said, getting support from the employer is quite important.

Yes, I confirmed with my manager that I will be able to dedicate some working time to the CDF TOC representation. CloudBees is a very active participant in the Jenkins community and the CDF as all of us know, and it is a good opportunity for all parties.

Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

May 6, 2021, 12:43:05 AM5/6/21
to Jenkins Developers
Dear all,

Thanks to everyone who have provided feedback in this thread and in the governance board channels. We have discussed the nomination at the governance meeting yesterday. There was only one candidate nominated: Oleg Nenashev (yes, me), and we decided no not extend the candidate search beyond the announced nominations deadline. Oleg Nenashev is nominated to the CDF TOC Representative role from the Jenkins project.

Approvers at the governance meeting: Ulli Hafner, Gavin Mogan, Ewelina Wilkosz, Daniel Beck, Baptiste Mathus, Mark Waite

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Oleg Nenashev

May 11, 2021, 6:09:55 PM5/11/21
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Just in case anyone is interested, here is a draft of my public statement as a CDF TOC candidate: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11yuwAYyq0bCXzLTyoUhood2Y7cIIQzcvR8hvOTazg_A/edit?usp=sharing . I will appreciate any feedback!

Initial version for review (see the Google Doc for latest):

I am humbled and grateful to be nominated for the CDF TOC by the Jenkins community! I have been an active contributor to the project since 2012. I am a Jenkins core maintainer, governance board member, and an acting events officer. I’ve contributed to many community programs, including open governance, public roadmap, Jenkins Enhancement Proposals, and Jenkins graduation in CDF. I regularly participate in the CDF TOC meetings as Jenkins representative. I am a CDF community ambassador, and help to organize events and outreach programs like GSoC. I also contribute to the Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation where I work on open hardware CI and evangelism. I am a principal engineer in the Community Team at CloudBees. This role allows me to dedicate time to drive many initiatives in the Jenkins project and the foundations.

If elected to the CDF TOC, my main priority will be to coordinate technical programs within the CDF. I plan to help CDF projects improve their community and governance processes so that they could improve and graduate in the CDF. Another priority will be interoperability between projects so that the CDF end users can easily combine them for their software delivery needs. I will work with the CDF special interest groups to define a public technical roadmap for the CDF initiatives, including but not limited to interoperability and security. I will also facilitate collaboration between the CDF, member companies, end users, and other open software and hardware foundations, i.e Linux Foundation, Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF), Open Source Security Foundation (OpenSSF), RISC-V Foundation, CHIPS Alliance, etc.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev