Reduced availability for Mark Waite

Mark Waite

May 25, 2021, 9:11:12 PM5/25/21
to Jenkins Developers

I'm Mark Waite.  I'm a Jenkins contributor.  I’ll be unavailable or have significantly reduced availability to help in the Jenkins project for at least eight weeks beginning Wednesday, June 9, 2021.

I have been accepted to donate a kidney to my brother’s son.  He’s the father of three children and has a genetic disorder that is causing his kidneys to fail.  The transplant team tells us that providing him one of my kidneys will allow him to live a longer, more productive life.

I need help to fill the roles that I perform for the Jenkins project while I’m unavailable.  This message is my request for help.

Where you can help

We want to spread knowledge around the Jenkins community.  We want others to be able to help the project in ways that are interesting to them and helpful for the community.  This kidney donation is an opportunity for others to learn new things about the Jenkins project and to use those skills to help.

Areas that need help are listed below.  These are also areas where we’ve wanted to broaden to allow more people to help.  We hope that volunteers will assist and will continue helping even after I return.

Mentor a Google Summer of Code project

I’m one of the mentors for the Google Summer of Code project, “Git credentials binding for pipeline”.  We have two very capable mentors, Justin and Rishabh, but prefer to have three mentors for each project.  This mentor needs to have experience with Jenkins plugin development and with git authentication techniques (both private key and username/password).

Lead the Platform SIG meeting

The Jenkins Platform Special Interest Group meets every two weeks to discuss topics related to platform support.  Those topics have included hardware support, operating system support, Docker image updates, JDK versions, and more.

We need a volunteer to lead the Platform SIG meeting, take the notes of the meeting, and upload the recording of the meeting to the Jenkins YouTube channel.  Contact me if you’re interested in helping with the Platform SIG.

Maintain the Jenkins Docker images

The Jenkins Docker images include images for the controller, the inbound agent, the ssh agent, and other images.  We need more maintainers for the Jenkins Docker images.  The best way to help with maintaining images is to review and comment on the existing pull requests.

Scribe for the UX SIG meeting

The Jenkins User Experience Special Interest Group meets every two weeks to discuss topics related to the Jenkins user interface and the Jenkins user experience.

We need one or more volunteers to take the notes of the User Experience SIG meetings and upload the meeting recordings to the Jenkins YouTube channel.  Contact me if you’re willing to act as the scribe of the Jenkins UX SIG.

Review Jenkins bug reports and help users

Many Jenkins users submit bug reports in hopes of finding a solution to a problem they are encountering.  If you are willing to spend time to help other Jenkins users, the issues in the Jenkins core maintainers attention  list would be greatly benefited by additional people willing to offer assistance.

Bruce Becker

May 26, 2021, 1:26:30 AM5/26/21
to Jenkins Developers
Dear Mark

Congratulations seems somewhat misplaced, but perhaps the sentiment holds true. This is a a fearsome journey for those involved and I wish you courage on it.

I will be able to contribute some of my time to maintaining the Docker images, since I already do so for $work. If accepted, I might require some initial hand-holding from the other maintainers, to understand your process and requirements, but I'm happy to contribute back.

Thanks,
Bruce

Gavin Mogan

May 26, 2021, 1:59:52 AM5/26/21
to Jenkins Developers
> I will be able to contribute some of my time to maintaining the Docker images,

its not very active but the platform sig hangs out in https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/platform-sig

Mark Waite

May 26, 2021, 8:17:05 PM5/26/21
to jenkinsci-dev
On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 11:26 PM Bruce Becker <bruce...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Mark

Congratulations seems somewhat misplaced, but perhaps the sentiment holds true. This is a a fearsome journey for those involved and I wish you courage on it.

I will be able to contribute some of my time to maintaining the Docker images, since I already do so for $work. If accepted, I might require some initial hand-holding from the other maintainers, to understand your process and requirements, but I'm happy to contribute back.

Thanks in advance for your willingness to help with maintaining the Docker images.  It is deeply appreciated!

I'm looking forward to the journey.  Avoiding kidney dialysis is a great positive for my nephew.

Thanks,
Bruce

Oleg Nenashev

May 29, 2021, 1:20:08 PM5/29/21
to Jenkins Developers
Dear Mark,

Thanks a lot for your message. This donation is a very noble action. I applaud you, and I will do my best to ensure that you do not get disturbed during the upcoming weeks. Please take your time to rest and recover, and do not worry about the community and the components you've maintained. We will be able to find a solution there. Family first.

I suggest adding this topic to the agenda of the next governance meeting so that we review the status of the ownership/transition of the listed items. If there is no solution for any of the listed items, let's make sure to find it. In additional to roles listed by Mark, we need to do something about Jenkins changelogs. I assume it has be another on-rotation role on par with the current Release lead. Not sure it should be always the Release lead, let's discuss. Also the Advocacy&Outreach SIG could use more contributors to jenkins.io copy-editing and social media management. Mark has been doing a lot of work there, and without him the team's capacity will be quite strained.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev
Jenkins Governance Board

Mark Waite

May 29, 2021, 1:49:58 PM5/29/21
to jenkinsci-dev
On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 11:20 AM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Mark,

Thanks a lot for your message. This donation is a very noble action. I applaud you, and I will do my best to ensure that you do not get disturbed during the upcoming weeks. Please take your time to rest and recover, and do not worry about the community and the components you've maintained. We will be able to find a solution there. Family first.

Thanks very much!

I suggest adding this topic to the agenda of the next governance meeting so that we review the status of the ownership/transition of the listed items. If there is no solution for any of the listed items, let's make sure to find it. In additional to roles listed by Mark, we need to do something about Jenkins changelogs. I assume it has be another on-rotation role on par with the current Release lead. Not sure it should be always the Release lead, let's discuss. Also the Advocacy&Outreach SIG could use more contributors to jenkins.io copy-editing and social media management. Mark has been doing a lot of work there, and without him the team's capacity will be quite strained.

I like that idea very much.  A Jenkins governance agenda topic is a good motivation for me to try to find as many volunteers as possible before the meeting June 2, 2021.

I agree that the LTS changelog rotation would best be something similar to the release lead rotation.  The LTS changelog process includes enough selection and choice options that it needs someone with experience in Jenkins core.

I think that the weekly changelog may be workable for someone in the Docs SIG to create.  We did a test drive creating the weekly changelog in our most recent Tuesday early morning Docs office hours.  Dheeraj Singh Jodha attended those office hours and was very interested in providing the weekly changelog.  Dheeraj reported in the Thursday afternoon Docs office hours that he successfully created a test Jenkins changelog using the instructions from the Tuesday introduction.  We plan to have Dheeraj generate the 2.296 changelog next Tuesday during the early morning Docs office hours.  I'm not 100% sure it will work, but I'm hopeful it might work.  If it doesn't work, then we'll need a rotation for the weekly changelog just as you've recommended.

Mark Waite

Mark Waite

Jun 16, 2021, 9:04:51 AM6/16/21
to Jenkins Developers
My availability has unexpectedly changed.  The kidney donation was cancelled at the pre-op appointment because my kidney function had diminished unexpectedly.

The transplant team wisely decided that donating a lower function kidney and leaving me with only one lower function kidney is not a good thing.  The doctors are now trying to find the reasons for my reduced kidney function in hopes that I will be able to donate in the future.

I'm back.  I'm hopeful that we'll find the root problem, resolve it, and that I'll be able to donate the kidney in the next few months.

Alyssa Tong

Jun 16, 2021, 9:57:41 AM6/16/21
to Jenkins Dev
we're glad to have you back Mark. I hope everything will work out for the best for you and your nephew 🙏🤞.

Oleg Nenashev

Jun 16, 2021, 9:19:23 PM6/16/21
to JenkinsCI Developers
Welcome back Mark!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAMBsfbv3v8zFVEx2CUD1uyhn4-uCZcWitCH%2BQt550BdK1UR7eg%40mail.gmail.com.