Switching a plugin's issue reporting from Jira to Github Issues

Chris Kilding

Sep 9, 2021, 11:55:09 AM9/9/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I've got a plugin where I want to switch issue reporting from Jira to Github Issues. How would I go about that?

Regards,

Chris

Daniel Beck

Sep 9, 2021, 1:28:35 PM9/9/21
to JenkinsCI Developers
On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 5:55 PM Chris Kilding <chris+...@chriskilding.com> wrote:
I've got a plugin where I want to switch issue reporting from Jira to Github Issues. How would I go about that?

My suggestion:
Step 1: Enable GitHub Issues. You should have repo admin permissions, if not, ask for that (or just for issues to be enabled) in INFRA.
Step 2: (Optional but would probably be nice) Migrate open issues from Jira to GitHub, i.e. file new issues in GH and close the Jira issues as duplicate, providing a link.
Step 3: File a PR updating your plugin's issue tracking metadata in https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater#managing-issue-trackers keeping Jira with report: false if there are historical issues, but making GH issues the preferred one.

Tim Jacomb

Sep 9, 2021, 4:19:46 PM9/9/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I used this script to migrate mine:

Then I used Jira bulk update to add a comment and close them all, and finished with deleting the component

It depends how many issues you have.

I migrated about 10 repositories with up to ~50 issues in them

Thanks
Tim

Tim Jacomb

Sep 9, 2021, 4:27:13 PM9/9/21
to Jenkins Developers
I would also suggest using Gavin's plugins self service app to apply the recommended GitHub labels:

Otherwise the issue template will try apply a label that doesn't exist by default