Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

Cathy Chan

da leggere,
24 ott 2022, 10:16:5024/10/22
a Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Looking at the Jenkins events calendar, we should have been well underway with the selection of the next LTS baseline.

Any proposals?

- Cathy.

Basil Crow

da leggere,
24 ott 2022, 17:12:4324/10/22
a jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I feel strongly that the following fixes be included in the next LTS release:

jenkinsci/jenkins#7208 - Fix for weather icon issue that many users
have complained about (included in the forthcoming 2.375)
jenkinsci/jenkins#7270 - Important fix for Java 17 users (included in
the forthcoming 2.375)
jenkinsci/jenkins#7273 - Fix for regression in queue maintenance
introduced in 2.361 (included in the forthcoming 2.375)
jenkinsci/jenkins#7275 - Update bundled plugins with security fixes
(included in the forthcoming 2.375)
jenkinsci/jenkins#7277 and jenkinsci/winstone#296 - Fix for WebSocket
regression introduced in the last LTS that many users have complained
about (included in the forthcoming 2.375)
jenkinsci/jenkins#7286 - Fix for regression in safe restart page
introduced in 2.374 (included in the forthcoming 2.375)

Based on the above 2.375 could make a good candidate. Note that 2.375
also contains a number of significant frontend changes that have not
yet received widespread adoption:

jenkinsci/jenkins#6912 - Improve breadcrumb bar accessibility
jenkinsci/jenkins#7049 - Update the design of notifications
jenkinsci/jenkins#7197 - Update design of Manage Users page

Assuming that no issues with the abovementioned regression fixes and
frontend changes are discovered next week, my vote would be for 2.375.

Alexander Brandes

da leggere,
24 ott 2022, 17:36:0124/10/22
a Jenkins Developers
+1 for 2.375

wfoll...@cloudbees.com

da leggere,
25 ott 2022, 10:42:2625/10/22
a Jenkins Developers
FTR 2.375 was released ~4h ago, the changelog page is not even updated (to receive the feedback).
With the list of regression/bug fix it seems to be a good candidate, but I think we should monitor carefully the user feedbacks and be ready to provide backports to a previous version.

To ease this kind of discussion, it could be interesting to introduce only very minor features or bug fixes before the LTS selection, so that we have more time to test them. But it's a different topic :p

Basil Crow

da leggere,
25 ott 2022, 11:48:1125/10/22
a jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 7:42 AM 'wfoll...@cloudbees.com' via Jenkins
Developers <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> To ease this kind of discussion, it could be interesting to introduce only very minor features or bug fixes before the LTS selection, so that we have more time to test them. But it's a different topic :p

FTR there is something written about this at
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/blob/e7df5eb5285ec965621a02d589f2543d09885723/docs/MAINTAINERS.adoc#step-2-is-it-a-good-time-to-merge
although it refers more to security releases than creating a new
stable branch. But yes I personally would not have merged the
abovementioned three frontend changes so close to the branching date.
If any issues are discovered in the next week, we can revert the
relevant commits from the stable branch, or create the stable branch
from an earlier point and backport the bug fixes to it like you
mentioned.

Alexander Brandes

da leggere,
28 ott 2022, 09:21:2128/10/22
a Jenkins Developers
As an alternative to 2.375, I'd like to bring up 2.372 as a possible candidate. 2.375 ships a (possible) issue tracked in JENKINS-69966.
2.372 is a much less recent weekly release, with a better rating than 2.375 and less big changes, which could result in possible regressions. It was released almost a month ago with no community reported issues, according to the changelog.

Tim Jacomb

da leggere,
31 ott 2022, 17:18:4531/10/22
a jenkin...@googlegroups.com
https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/JENKINS-69966 is very much a real issue, but it has a fix on the plugin so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

2.375 looks to be a good baseline to me.

Tim Jacomb

da leggere,
2 nov 2022, 04:29:2102/11/22
a jenkin...@googlegroups.com