New Year blogpost for Jenkins

Oleg Nenashev

Dec 24, 2021, 9:14:05 AM12/24/21
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi all,

So the New Year's coming soon. So now we will need a yearly a report for the Continuous Delivery Foundation. I guess we would like to have a standard Jenkins blog post this year, right?

Would anyone be interested to contribute to this blog post? I might be able to coordinate the effort though I'm not sure this is very appropriate. I haven't been as active for in the community this year as used to be before.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Mark Waite

Dec 24, 2021, 9:42:00 AM12/24/21
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks for the reminder!  I'd like to contribute to that blog post.  I think we have many things to highlight for this year, including:

  • Outreach events
    • 5 completed projects in Google Summer of Code
    • Over 90 pull requests from Hacktoberfest contributors
    • 5 women in Africa mentored by the She Code Africa contributhon
    • 4 students mentored in master project for Jenkins security
  • New features
    • Configuration form modernization
    • Spring and XStream upgrades
    • Guava upgrade
    • Java 11 now the default in Docker images
    • 6 plugins adopted by contributors
  • Security fixes and improvements
    • 19 security advisories published
    • Apache Log4j 2 incident managed
  • Plugins and Documentation
    • Confluence wiki attack mitigated
    • Plugins site search and documentation site search
    • 38 blog posts
    • Documentation for 200 more plugins migrated to GitHub
  • Social
    • Community.jenkins.io is growing
    • 3000 more followers on Twitter
    • 13000 more followers on LinkedIn
    • Over 90000 views on YouTube
    • IRC chat moved to Libera chat
I'm open to other highlights that should be noted in the blog post.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Mark Waite

Jan 3, 2022, 7:59:02 PM1/3/22
to Jenkins Developers
I placed the New Year blogpost on the Docs Office Hours agenda for this week.  Will be discussed during the Asia / Pacific hours in the next 2 hours, then will be discussed again during Europe / Americas hours on Thursday.

See the Jenkins calendar for the precise times of Docs Office Hours.

Mark Waite

Gavin Mogan

Jan 4, 2022, 12:06:39 PM1/4/22
to Jenkins Developers
I was thinking about it last night. We got a few new sponsors this year

* netlify
* digital ocean
* 1password

probably more, would be nice to mention them

Mark Waite

Jan 4, 2022, 12:24:53 PM1/4/22
to jenkinsci-dev
On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 10:06 AM 'Gavin Mogan' via Jenkins Developers <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I was thinking about it last night. We got a few new sponsors this year

* netlify
* digital ocean
* 1password

probably more, would be nice to mention them

Thanks for the reminder!  Yes, I'll include a section of thanks for the new and renewed sponsors.  Will need to check the sponsorship dates to be sure the post is accurate, but Algolia for search, Netlify for status site and preview sites, 1password for securing passwords, Oracle for archives.jenkins.io, Digital Ocean for Kubernetes agents, and more,.

Daniel Beck

Jan 5, 2022, 7:55:19 AM1/5/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 3:42 PM Mark Waite <mark.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
  • Security fixes and improvements
    • 19 security advisories published
I'm certainly biased here, but our work on agent-to-controller security (both the fixes delivered in early November, as well as JEP-235) is notable in this context. These were pretty horrifying, essentially undermining all the security benefits from distributed builds.

Mark Waite

Jan 5, 2022, 8:03:02 AM1/5/22
to Jenkins Developers
On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 5:55:19 AM UTC-7 Daniel Beck wrote:
On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 3:42 PM Mark Waite wrote:
  • Security fixes and improvements
    • 19 security advisories published
I'm certainly biased here, but our work on agent-to-controller security (both the fixes delivered in early November, as well as JEP-235) is notable in this context. These were pretty horrifying, essentially undermining all the security benefits from distributed builds.

 Agreed.  Thanks for reminding me of that one.  It deserves a specific mention even more than the Log4j 2 response deserves mention.  Included in my draft outline.

I hope to write the blog post today or tomorrow based on the draft outline in the Docs Office Hours notes from Jan 3, 2022.

Other suggestions welcomed.

Alyssa Tong

Jan 5, 2022, 4:00:22 PM1/5/22
to Jenkins Dev
For Jenkins is the Way stories, in 2021 we've published:
  • 138 Jenkins users stories
  • 3 Jenkins User Story eBooks

Basil Crow

Jan 13, 2022, 2:10:37 PM1/13/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Between 2.274 (2021-01-05) and 2.328 (2022-01-03), we removed 9
outdated dependencies, unforked and upgraded 2 outdated dependencies,
and upgraded 20 other dependencies:

- Removed Akuma
- Removed ASM 5
- Removed ASM 6
- Removed Bytecode Compatibility Transformer
- Removed Commons Digester
- Removed `jna-posix`
- Removed JTidy
- Removed `libpam4j`
- Removed Woodstox
- Unforked Commons FileUpload and upgraded from 1.3.1-jenkins-2 to 1.4
- Unforked Ant and upgraded from 1.10.9 to 1.10.12
- Upgraded Antlr from 2.7.6 to 2.7.7
- Upgraded ASM from 9.0 to 9.2
- Upgraded Commons BeanUtils from 1.9.3 to 1.9.4
- Upgraded Commons Codec from 1.14 to 1.15
- Upgraded Commons Compress from 1.19 to 1.21
- Upgraded Commons Discovery from 0.4 to 0.5
- Upgraded Commons IO from 2.8.0 to 2.11.0
- Upgraded Groovy from 2.4.12 to 2.4.21
- Upgraded Guava from 11.0.1 to 31.0.1
- Upgraded Guice from 4.0 to 5.0.1
- Upgraded Jaxen from 1.1-beta-11 to 1.2.0
- Upgraded jCIFS from 1.3.17-kohsuke-1 to 1.3.18-kohsuke-1
- Upgraded JLine from 2.12 to 2.14.6
- Upgraded JNA from 5.6.0 to 5.10.0
- Upgraded JNR from 3.1.4 to 3.1.14
- Upgraded `json-lib` from 2.4-jenkins-2 to 2.4-jenkins-3
- Upgraded SLF4J from 1.7.30 to 1.7.32
- Upgraded Spring from 5.2.9 to 5.3.14
- Upgraded Spring Security from 5.4.1 to 5.6.1
- Upgraded XStream from 1.4.15 to 1.4.18

Mark Waite

Jan 14, 2022, 1:04:27 AM1/14/22
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Please review the proposed blog post at https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/4821

I would like to publish before the end of the day in Europe on Friday, January 14, 2022.

Mark Waite

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 15, 2022, 6:00:04 PM1/15/22
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks to everyone who contributed! And sorry that I disappeared completely, the court hearing took much more energy than I expected