2.462 as 7 Aug 2024 LTS baseline?

Mark Waite

Jun 25, 2024, 6:21:37 PMJun 25
to Jenkins Developers
Tomorrow, 26 Jun 2024, is the day that we should choose the next LTS baseline.  That baseline needs to use a Jenkins weekly release that supports Java 11.

I recommend Jenkins 2.462

Jenkins 2.462 is the most recent Jenkins weekly release that supports Java 11.  Community feedback is positive, with only one exception, the report of JENKINS-73320, a bug in the miniorange SAML plugin that has a merged pull request to fix the plugin bug.

The miniorange SAML bug (JENKINS-73320) is related to the change from Apache File Upload 1 to Apache File Upload 2.  If we don't want to use a weekly that includes Apache File Upload 2, then we need to choose Jenkins 2.458 or older.  I'm not aware of any other bug reports related to Apache File Upload 2.  I think it would be a mistake to choose Jenkins 2.458 as the LTS baseline.  The weekly releases 2.459, 2.460, and 2.461 all have positive feedback on the community reported issues.

Mark Waite

Basil Crow

Jun 25, 2024, 8:13:34 PMJun 25
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 3:21 PM Mark Waite <mark.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not aware of any other bug reports related to Apache File Upload 2.

There is also JENKINS-73235, but just like JENKINS-73320 we are also
blocked on upstream and the number of affected users is small (0.55%
and 0.79% and of controllers, respectively). I don't think these
numbers are significant enough to affect LTS baseline selection. Those
users can always stick to the previous LTS until upstream takes action
to release the already merged fix (in the case of JENKINS-73320) or to
make the plugin compilable so I can help with a fix (in the case of
JENKINS-73235).

Mark Waite

Jul 7, 2024, 6:40:46 PMJul 7
to Jenkins Developers
Based on the responses, I am assuming that 2.462 is selected as the baseline for the LTS releases that will start with 2.462.1 on 7 Aug 2024.  I've made entries in the Jenkins calendar for the LTS releases and the LTS release candidates.

Tim Jacomb, can you confirm that you are OK with that plan?

Mark Waite

Tim Jacomb

Jul 7, 2024, 10:07:23 PMJul 7
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com