javadoc issue due to Java11 on jenkins?

jn...@cloudbees.com

Jun 14, 2022, 9:26:32 AM6/14/22
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all

Just released a plugin and I have the following warning

[WARNING] javadoc: warning - Error fetching URL: https://javadoc.jenkins.io/

The javadoc for jenkins was recently switch to Java11 (seems a week early) and this means that plugins can no longer link correctly when compiling/releasing with Java 11, presumably as the file that javadoc download for the cross referencing is missing.

Given plugins will still be targeting Java8 (and older Jenkins versions for a while) has anyone else seen this or though about it?

/James

Tim Jacomb

Jun 14, 2022, 11:56:35 AM6/14/22
to Jenkins Developers
Interesting.

I don't _think_ the one week early has any impact other than just raising the problem earlier.

You're likely the first to hit this though.

Can you tell if the javadoc was published for the plugin or if there's any issue with it?

We can test it out on the test plugin to not impact users.

Thanks
Tim

jn...@cloudbees.com

Jun 14, 2022, 1:00:54 PM6/14/22
to Jenkins Developers
> Can you tell if the javadoc was published for the plugin or if there's any issue with it?

I can't as I was doing a plugin security release :/

I'm expecting the publishing is correct, just that the linking to core APIs is missing (which is what I saw looking at the locally generated files)

/James

Basil Crow

Jun 14, 2022, 2:08:14 PM6/14/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
The problem can be reproduced by going to any Jenkins plugin today and running mvn javadoc:javadoc with Java 8. The problem does not occur when running the same Maven command with Java 11. So one solution is to perform the release with Java 11 (as we are doing with Jenkins core today).

I suspect this may have something to do with the renaming of package-list to element-list in Java 10. I see https://javadoc.jenkins.io/element-list but https://javadoc.jenkins.io/package-list gives a 404 (Javadoc built with Java 11). In contrast, I see https://javadoc.jenkins.io/component/jenkins-test-harness/package-list but https://javadoc.jenkins.io/component/jenkins-test-harness/element-list gives a 404 (Javadoc built with Java 8). If this theory is correct, another solution might be to symlink package-list to element-list as was effectively done in gradle/gradle@5e88351dd456a5252d21f3a7ad25bff1b62a2fd2.

jn...@cloudbees.com

Jun 15, 2022, 12:29:12 PM6/15/22
to Jenkins Developers
I am seeing some issues with the actual jenkins java11 javadoc too.  Smells like bugs in javadoc - but it may be out invocation of it is not correct.

The search seems to be broken - when you follow a link to a type you get linked to a page that starts https://javadoc.jenkins.io/undefined  e.g. https://javadoc.jenkins.io/undefined/hudson/security/AccessControlled.html)   it only seems to do the right thing when what you are searching for is a package but reliably fails for types.

/James

jn...@cloudbees.com

Jun 15, 2022, 12:33:32 PM6/15/22
to Jenkins Developers
Good find Basil,

the above issue I mentioned with search seems to be https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8215291  which is alas also fixed in Java 12....

Stack overflow[1] mentions some workarounds, but they appear to have other issues.

/James

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52326318/maven-javadoc-search-redirects-to-undefined-url

Tim Jacomb

Jun 15, 2022, 5:09:16 PM6/15/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Throwing a couple of suggestions out there:
- build on 17
- backport to Java8?
- try a couple of those options out from the linked post but as James said they all have issues by the looks of it

Basil Crow

Jun 15, 2022, 11:27:48 PM6/15/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hello James,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 9:29 AM 'jn...@cloudbees.com' via Jenkins Developers <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> I am seeing some issues with the actual jenkins java11 javadoc too.

When reporting regressions, it is appropriate and helpful to include the steps to reproduce, expected results, and actual results as described in the Issue Reporting documentation. As a courtesy, I have taken the liberty of filing JENKINS-68768 with this information and updating JENKINS-68761 with the same information.

Basil