Trying to automate release of Plugin

Karl Henselin

Sep 9, 2022, 1:13:58 PM9/9/22
to Jenkins Developers
I followed the CD automation guide for Jenkins plugins, and I think that I was successful with all the steps.
However, when I make a pull request, it never releases a new version.
I tried running the CD job with debug logging turned on, but I can't understand the logs to know what might be wrong.

I would appreciate any help that you can provide!

Thanks,
Karl Henselin

Jesse Glick

Sep 9, 2022, 2:21:02 PM9/9/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 1:13 PM Karl Henselin <hens...@gmail.com> wrote:
I followed the CD automation guide for Jenkins plugins, and I think that I was successful with all the steps.
However, when I make a pull request, it never releases a new version.
I tried running the CD job with debug logging turned on, but I can't understand the logs to know what might be wrong.

`verify-ci-status` fails, because there is no CI status—you have no `Jenkinsfile`.

Gavin Mogan

Sep 9, 2022, 4:09:01 PM9/9/22
to Jenkins Developers
Looks like your plugin is pretty old. You may want to look through the archetypes repo to see what other files you should bring in (like incrementals)

I would recommend generating a new plugin via archetype, and then comparing pom and other files.

Karl Henselin

Sep 12, 2022, 3:02:12 PM9/12/22
to Jenkins Developers

Thanks so much all of you for your help!
I didn't know I needed a Jenkinsfile, or what it was for :)
I see that step running now when I make pull requests, and I think that CD will work too.
I wouldn't have gotten it without your help!
Thanks,
Karl

Gavin Mogan

Sep 14, 2022, 9:10:55 PM9/14/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
> I didn't know I needed a Jenkinsfile, or what it was for :)

Just for my curiosity, as a plugin maintainer, do you not know what a jenkinsfile is for in general? or specifically in this context for your plugin?

If in general, I would recommend reviewing the pipeline docs (https://www.jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/) as it's a pretty core concept of Jenkins these days.

If in this specific case \o/ is there anything that could be done to improve this discoverability for you?

Karl Henselin

Sep 15, 2022, 7:52:19 AM9/15/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I don't use Jenkins, github, or github actions at my job, so I hadn't heard of a jenkinsfile before this discussion.
I don't see it mentioned in the documentation about how to set up ci/cd.
I would maybe note that jenkinsfile is used on https://www.jenkins.io/doc/developer/publishing/releasing-cd/

Other things I didn't know, but I don't know if they should be made known there perhaps are:
I didn't know that github had a jenkins action, which apparently it does, or something causes it to find a jenkinsfile and know that means to run some github actions.
I didn't know github could run an action from something not in the .github folder.
Probably people that use github or Jenkins or both probably know that stuff, and most plugin maintainers probably use their plugins, we just don't use the plugin ourselves in our development process.

Thanks,
Karl

Jesse Glick

Sep 15, 2022, 12:12:18 PM9/15/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 7:52 AM Karl Henselin <hens...@gmail.com> wrote:
I didn't know that github had a jenkins action, which apparently it does, or something causes it to find a jenkinsfile and know that means to run some github actions.

No, these things are decoupled. ci.jenkins.io notices the `Jenkinsfile` and runs it. Whenever that build completes (actually after every stage and so on), ci.jenkins.io publishes a check to GitHub, and if on the master branch that event triggers the GitHub Action to look whether there is a successful Jenkins build and if so whether the running changelog merits a release.