Pipeline-Authoring SIG Roadmap

Marky Jackson

Apr 20, 2020, 10:37:32 PM4/20/20
to Jenkins Pipeline Authoring SIG
Hello friends!

I wanted to let the community know that the Pipeline-Authoring SIG has put together a SIG roadmap. The pull request can be found here.
The community met many times to lay the groundwork and this past Friday we met to detail the roadmap. The recording of that meeting can be found here.

MotivationJenkins is a community-driven project. Changes there happen only in those areas where we have contributors. So changes in the project may sometimes appear chaotic to an external observer. At the same time, now we have a lot of entities like special interest groups, sub-projects and teams. These entities drive key initiatives in the community and largely use their own channels for that. One has to find these channels to follow a project. A Jenkins user or an outside contributor might have difficulties understanding what is going on and how to contribute.

This proposal documents a new roadmap process which would make planned changes more explicit and which would highlight the potential projects to Jenkins contributors and users. It will help Jenkins users and vendors to properly plan their work and to contribute. The main JEP can be found here.

I want to thank those that participated in the discussion and the time they dedicated.

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 21, 2020, 3:29:23 AM4/21/20
to Jenkins Pipeline Authoring SIG
Hi all,

Thanks to Marky for the initial PR! I will suggest some edits in the roadmap pull request, but it is definitely something we could work with.

Some questions about the SIG itself which could help with grouping the roadmap:
  • Does the SIG remain focused only on Pipeline Authoring? Or does it intend to handle a wider scope of Pipeline related topics?
  • Does the SIG remain focused only on Jenkins Pipeline s the SIG page states? Or would it consider other topics?
I am also interested to get feedback about my previous Pipeline-related roadmap ideas in the previous thread about the roadmap. Current meeting time makes it impossible for me to attend the meeting, and from what I see in recordings the suggested items have not been discussed during the last SIG meetings. No response in the mailing list either. I am not sure how to facilitate the discussion there.

Br, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 21, 2020, 4:09:02 AM4/21/20
to Jenkins Pipeline Authoring SIG
Submitted https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/3092 which slightly improves the layout.

My biggest concern in the list is that everything is listed as "future" albeit many items already have implmenetations in public (e.g. Static analysis tools, Pipeline documentation, etc.). It would be great to update  items and descriptions to be more specific about that. Alternative is to use words like Improve/rework/ so that it indicates further steps based on existing basis. (e.g. "Improve Pipeline Documentation"). As an example, you can take a look at the current Platform support roadmap. There we added a Projects section on the SIG page which documents what is already out there.

BR, Oleg

Marky Jackson

Apr 21, 2020, 4:32:22 AM4/21/20
to Oleg Nenashev, Jenkins Pipeline Authoring SIG
We can cross reference items at the next sig meeting. My goal was to get something out there and iterate on the finer detail in the coming days.

Oleg Nenashev

Jun 12, 2020, 5:37:42 AM6/12/20
to Jenkins Pipeline Authoring SIG
Hi all,

First of all, thanks a lot to the SIG members for creating an initial roadmap for Pipeline! It is great to see some stories there, and I am looking forward to facilitate the community contributions around these stories.

Currently I am working on finalizing the Jenkins roadmap towards it's publishing as official roadmap for the Jenkins project. I have some concerns about the Pipeline roadmap items and especially their links. In the current state they do not look to be very informative for a potential contributor, and I wonder whether we could improve them. Some notes from the review:
  • "Pipeline development in IDE". The linked  JENKINS-35396 issue has no detailed description, and it is not possible to understand what is it about from a single line. No problem statement, no goals, no ways to contribute
  • "Pipeline syntax Improvements". It links to  JENKINS-55287 which is a Blocker bug. Even as a an experienced Jenkins user and contributor, I do not understand what is in the scope for this initiative. Linking a Blocker Bug on the roadmap is also not helpful to improve the optics for the project. It would be great to have a new landing location for it with an initiative manifesto
  • "Pipeline functional testing tools". It links to JENKINS-61935 which, AFAICT, has nothing to do with functional testing. As in the item before, I do not understand what the team is going to do there, a new landing location would be great
  • "Pipeline integration testing tools". No link. The description is also confusing because it refers a Unit Testing framework
  • "Pipeline Documentation" - No link at all, not sure what would be in the scope. For a reference, take a "Improve Pipeline Step Documentation generator" item created by the Documentation SIG
In the current state I do not think that these items help us to deliver on the roadmap goals: define the project objectives and facilitate contributions. I went through Pipeline Authoring SIG meeting notes and other linked issues, and unfortunately I do not have enough information to extend and document these roadmap items properly.

I suggest that the Pipeline Authoring SIG reviews these and other roadmap items. If there is no way to get them fixed by the next roadmap review meeting on June 17, I suggest removing them from the list. They can be added again once there are well-defined roadmap items, similar to other roadmap items in the list.

Best regards,
Oleg