[GSOC2020 PROJECT IDEA] - Experimental Pipeline as YAML plugin

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 12, 2020, 7:21:14 AM2/12/20
to jenkins-pipelin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I would like to propose a Google Summer of Code project idea for native YAML definitions support in Jenkins Pipeline.

Problem: Jenkins Pipeline is a widely used way to define jobs in Jenkins. There are syntaxes: Declarative and Scripted Pipeline. Both of them are based on Groovy DSL, and there is interest in a declarative YAML syntax expressed by users. YAML definitions are widely used in CI/CD systems, including Jenkins X, Tekton, and many popular CI/CD services (see below).

Prior work: For Jenkins Pipeline there are many Pipeline libraries which add support for YAML definitions: Modular Pipeline Library, POET, etc. Even Jenkins project uses YAML definitions for jobs, e.g. in the essentialsTest() step. During GSoC 2018 we implemented a Simple Pull Request Job Plugin which allows defining Pipelines as YAML which is close to the Declarative Pipeline syntax-wise. See the alpha release announcement here. We have never finalized it, but it could be used as a base for a new project. Similarly, there are plugins like Travis YML which implement YAML definition support for Pipeline.

In this project idea we propose to continue the Pipeline-as-YAML experiment. It can be done by a student by continuing work on the existing plugin, by creating a new plugin or by contributing to Declarative Pipeline or shared libraries. The YAML syntax could be close to Jenkins X Pipelines or to existing shared libraries. I think it could be a great project with high value to the Jenkins community and users.

Idea draft with more details: https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/2849. I will appreciate any feedback. Also looking for potential mentors!

Thanks in advance,
Oleg Nenashev

aytuncb...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2020, 3:30:15 AM2/25/20
to Jenkins Pipeline Authoring SIG
Hi All,

I started working on this plugin, you can find the topic here https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/jenkinsci-dev/6ieyOlLQX0I
Contributors are welcome : )

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 11, 2020, 6:44:17 AM3/11/20
to aytuncb...@gmail.com, Jenkins Pipeline Authoring SIG
There is a Pipeline Authoring SIG meeting tomorrow at 2PM UTC. Does anyone want to use that slot to have a discussion of the project?

Aytunc Beken

Mar 11, 2020, 6:56:45 AM3/11/20
to Oleg Nenashev, Jenkins Pipeline Authoring SIG
Hi Oleg,
I can join the meeting. But not sure what is this meeting is about.

Marky Jackson

Mar 11, 2020, 8:31:31 AM3/11/20
to Oleg Nenashev, aytuncb...@gmail.com, Jenkins Pipeline Authoring SIG
I would love to use that time