[ci.jenkins.io] Container Agents using Kubernetes instead of Azure Container Service

Damien Duportal

Aug 19, 2021, 3:44:25 AM8/19/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hello dear developers, contributors, maintainers,

We recently (last week) migrated all the agent container-based on ci.jenkins.io to Kubernetes instead of ACS (Azure Container Services).

This change should be functionally transparent (as almost all the pipelines on ci.jenkins.io are expected to use "labels").

But of course, we saw some hiccups (performances where not really good at first) that we fixed on the go, but some of your builds might have been impacted.
If it is the case, feel free to let us know by either answering to that email, or opening an issue on https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/INFRA, or contacting us in the IRC #jenkins-channel or on the community forum at https://community.jenkins.io/ .

The rationale behind that change is that ACS is costly and we wanted to decrease the costs of this workload.
Using Kubernetes requires a bit more maintenance than a "container as a service" such as ACS but allows us a finer tuning.

More details can be found on https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/INFRA-2918.

Thanks to all the contributors involved in this change, from reviews, tips, contribution, issue openers!

For the infra team,

Damien DUPORTAL

Tim Jacomb

Aug 19, 2021, 7:08:26 AM8/19/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Typo throughout btw, acs is a discontinued service, we used ACI up until last week