Time to revive the Cloud Native SIG?

Oleg Nenashev

May 14, 2020, 5:39:46 PM5/14/20
to JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Cloud Native SIG

Hi all,

The Jenkins Cloud Native special interest group has been dormant for about a year since the offline meeting at Kubecon 2019 in Barcelona. There is a lot of interest from the users about running Jenkins in cloud environments and, specifically, in Kubernetes. We have recently started a series of "Jenkins in Kubernetes" online meetups, and we got positive feedback and many follow-ups there. It would be great if we could recover the SIG.

Previously the SIG was mostly focused on the deep Jenkins architecture changes, including pluggable storage and architecture changes towards stateless Jenkins. This is definitely a valiant goal which should be worked on, but for the SIG it was a challenge to consolidate a critical mass of contributors to push such deep surgery changes forward. I hope that we will eventually get there, but the SIG format did not work well.

I would suggest to change the scope of the SIG and to refocus it on use-cases for Jenkins end users and administrators:

  • Integrations with Kubernetes and other projects from the CNCF landscape

  • Managing Jenkins in Kubernetes: Helm charts, Jenkins operator, monitoring with Prometheus, etc.

  • Jenkins on Cloud providers (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, etc): Provisioning of agents, cloud storage, and other common use-cases

  • Jenkins FaaS Capabilities: Jenkinsfile Runner and similar engines

  • Integrations with cloud native CI/CD engines like Tekton and Jenkins X

Immediate projects the SIG would focus on: Kubernetes plugin ecosystem, Jenkins Kubernetes Operator (JEP-219), Jenkinsfile Runner, External Fingerprint Storage (GSoC 2020 project), "Jenkins on Kubernetes" meetup follow-up discussions with speakers. We could add more projects if there are active initiatives there and put them on the Jenkins roadmap.

What do you think? I would appreciate any feedback and comments. If there are multiple contributors interested, I am ready to go ahead and get the SIG running again.

Thanks for your feedback,

Oleg

Marky Jackson

May 14, 2020, 6:06:13 PM5/14/20
to Oleg Nenashev, JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Cloud Native SIG
I whole heartily support this and please count me in to do whatever is needed.

Oleg Nenashev

Jun 4, 2020, 4:47:46 PM6/4/20
to Jenkins Cloud Native SIG
Looks like that the CC list got broken at some point.
Here is the full thread with references to the kick-off meeting: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/jenkinsci-dev/nuOedyIwfyw/5BbTGJChCwAJ