Adds are showing up in the Jenkins YouTube videos

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 18, 2021, 11:56:15 PM4/18/21
to Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG
Hi all,

I am not sure what happened, but, since a few months ago, I have been seeing video adds on YouTube when watching videos from the Jenkins YouTube channel. It is something new, I am not sure what the reason is. We do not enable advertisement.

Right now we have a few options:
  • Try to analyze what happened. Contact Youtube support?
  • Sign up for YouTube Partner Program, explicitly demonetize the videos. We are borderline eligible to join the program
  • Sign up for YouTube Partner Program, monetize the videos and send money to the Jenkins CrowdFunding platform for future use. We should be also able to limit advertisement so that only relevant ones show up (not sure whether we could prevent non-Jenkins vendors from showing up). We will likely earn peanuts from the platform, so I doubt it makes sense
Any opinions?

Best regards,
Oleg

Alyssa Tong

Apr 19, 2021, 12:02:03 PM4/19/21
to Oleg Nenashev, Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG
imo the demonetizing route might be best since #1 - developer community don't like ads.
 #2 - If we go w/ monetizing route and earn peanuts, the chance of ads from competing vendors popping up is a big concern imo.

Mark Waite

Apr 19, 2021, 9:43:39 PM4/19/21
to Alyssa Tong, Oleg Nenashev, Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG
I agree with Alyssa.  Let's register for the program and explicitly demonetize the videos.

Olblak

Apr 20, 2021, 3:45:29 AM4/20/21
to 'Olblak' via Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG
I definitely plus one with Alyssa's comments, monetize video doesn't bring us any value so it's just a marketing opportunity for third CI/CD vendors....
So let see if we can join the youtube partner program

Oleg Nenashev

May 14, 2021, 7:44:21 AM5/14/21
to Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG
FTR here is a guide about disabling/managing YouTube apps: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/172795?hl=en . Kudos to Darin Pope for the link, and yes it requires being a YouTube partner. I can confirm that adds are showing up for other previously non-monetized channels including Jenkins RU and FOSSi I have access to. None of them have monetization configured.

I have seen CircleCI adds on the Jenkins channel, and it is not cool at all. I'd guess we will have to apply for a YouTube partner status. Any objections?

Oleg Nenashev

May 14, 2021, 8:02:27 AM5/14/21
to Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG
FTR https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2475463 (credits to Daren as well). So yeah, partner program is a must

Mark Waite

May 14, 2021, 11:43:13 AM5/14/21
On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 5:44 AM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
FTR here is a guide about disabling/managing YouTube apps: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/172795?hl=en . Kudos to Darin Pope for the link, and yes it requires being a YouTube partner. I can confirm that adds are showing up for other previously non-monetized channels including Jenkins RU and FOSSi I have access to. None of them have monetization configured.

I have seen CircleCI adds on the Jenkins channel, and it is not cool at all. I'd guess we will have to apply for a YouTube partner status. Any objections?

No objections from me.  +1 to becoming a YouTube partner.

Mark Waite

Olblak

May 14, 2021, 12:30:13 PM5/14/21
to 'Olblak' via Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG

Oleg Nenashev

May 15, 2021, 6:51:26 AM5/15/21
to Olblak, 'Olblak' via Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG, Jenkins Governance Board
Quick update, I have applied for the YouTube partner program on behalf of the Jenkins channel.
Some notes I discovered in the process:
  • YouTube Channel Partner requires someone to specify the AdSense account
  • AdSense might be associated with individual and business accounts
  • I have no access to any business account, so I registered AdSense for my individual account
  • It will take Google "usually up to one month" to review the application
One may have a concern that I might receive money from a YouTube channel. My goal is quite the opposite: minimizing our ads as much as possible, and locking out companies with negative marketing about Jenkins from showing ads on our content. But it is quite likely that ads will be showing up in some cases.

Should I receive any money, they will be donated back to Jenkins using LFX Crowdfunding. I am happy to provide periodic reporting on that. Should the Advocacy&Outreach SIG or Governance Board decide to establish any particular process, I am happy to follow that. If there is a preference to revert the application and seek other options (e.g. creating and connecting the CDF AdSense), I am ready to follow this preference as well

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Oleg Nenashev

May 20, 2021, 5:36:29 PM5/20/21
to Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG
Hi all,

As far as I can tell, YouTube partner program has been enabled. I've got access to monetization settings and turned of monetization for new videos by default.
GSoC kick-off in https://youtu.be/5nR2eNa8HbQ should be the first vide where settings are applied.

Let's see how it goes.

BR, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

May 20, 2021, 5:49:59 PM5/20/21
to Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG
I demonetized all videos. Or at least I hope so.

I also tried out features like link card and sections in the videos, we've got access to all YouTube creator tooling for professional videos. We can use it for online meetup videos and other content we want to promote

Oleg Nenashev

May 23, 2021, 3:41:39 AM5/23/21
to Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG
Hi all,

It looks like we need a JEP to explicitly document the demonetization policy and to explicitly list ads and vendors we block due to the negative marketing.

FTR our awesome business plan works like a charm so far:
youtube_adds.jpeg

Best regards,
Oleg