Sharing Twitter access with Infra and Security team + Jenkins Announcements

Oleg Nenashev

Jun 20, 2021, 2:03:32 AM6/20/21
to JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG, Daniel Beck, wadeck.f...@gmail.com, Olivier Vernin, Damien Plugin Duportal, R. Tyler Croy
Dear all,

I suggest sharing access to Twitter with the contributors who might need to do emergency announcements on behalf of the Jenkins community. In particular, Jenkins Infrastructure and Security teams may want to make announcements about outages, maintenance work, advisories and 0-day security issues.

I suggest sharing access to jenkinsci Twitter with Daniel Beck, Olivier Vernin, Wadeck Follonier and Damien Duportal. Although we do not have an official "shadow officer" term yet, de-facto Wadeck and Olivier get a lot of infra knowledge transfers and act as officers when Olivier or Daniel are off. I believe it would be appropriate to share access with them right away.

There are two ways to share access:
  1. Classic way: Grant access to TweetDeck to all contributors so that they can manage posts manually
  2. Suggested way (by me): Twitter as code
    1. We create a new "Jenkins Announcements" GitHub repo and configure Twitter Together automation for it. It will allow all contributors to manage announcements via pull requests and, later, automate creating posts. Copy-editing could be done via pull request reviews. Example: https://github.com/jenkinsci/memkins
      • The repository is connected either to the main jenkinsci account or to a new one. For the latter we may want to automate retweets from jenkinsci, e.g. using IFFFT or a twitter bot. This step will require assistance from Tyler as jenkinsci account owner who can setup a Twitter app
      • Later: Keep evolving and consolidating Jenkins social media
        • Why not "jenkins-twitter?" you may ask... Later we can use the same repo to automatically put announcements in other channels like Telegram Channels, Reddit or Hacker News
        • Later I envision automating community.jenkins.io announcements => social media, and it may go through the same repo via pull request automation
    I would be interested in spending some time and implementing the second option. IMO it is a good investment in the future and improving communications with Jenkins end users. What do you think?

    Best regards,
    Oleg Nenashev

    Mark Waite

    Jun 20, 2021, 1:28:13 PM6/20/21
    to Oleg Nenashev, JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG, Daniel Beck, wadeck.f...@gmail.com, Olivier Vernin, Damien Plugin Duportal, R. Tyler Croy
    I'm fine with either method.  I agree that they need access to twitter in case of a need to immediately communicate.

    Olivier Vernin

    Jun 21, 2021, 3:25:06 AM6/21/21
    to Mark Waite, Oleg Nenashev, JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG, Daniel Beck, wadeck.f...@gmail.com, Olivier Vernin, Damien Plugin Duportal, R. Tyler Croy
    Hi Oleg,

    I would definitely prefer the "Twitter as code" approach.
    In the case of the Jenkins project, it would be easier to track who has publishing right.
    That sounds like an interesting summer project.

    --

    Vernin Olivier Lead Operation Engineer CloudBees, Inc.

    CloudBees-Logo.png

    Oleg Nenashev

    Jun 21, 2021, 3:34:46 AM6/21/21
    to Olivier Vernin, Mark Waite, JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG, Daniel Beck, wadeck.f...@gmail.com, Olivier Vernin, Damien Plugin Duportal, R. Tyler Croy
    I have already evaluated Twitter Together, and I can set it up quickly. So it is rather an evening project than a summer one :)

    If we proceed with that, I suggest creating a jenkinsci/social-media repo so that we are not limited just by Twitter in the future.

    A few questions:

    - Do we want to connect the jenkinsci account right away? Or do we want a new account?
    - Do we want to transfer the jenkinsci and jenkins-release accounts and credentials to the Jenkins org? Currently they are owned by Tyler. We will need a password storage and an email we could use for the account management.
    - Are we fine with the fact that the jenkinsci GitHub org admins will be technically able to post in social media thanks to their admin permissions? I see no problem with that

    Oleg Nenashev

    Jun 21, 2021, 3:37:03 AM6/21/21
    to Olivier Vernin, Mark Waite, JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG, Daniel Beck, wadeck.f...@gmail.com, Olivier Vernin, Damien Plugin Duportal, R. Tyler Croy
    Note that Twitter Together currently does not support attaching images, GIFs and, more importantly, retweets without comments. All of that can be fixed, just needs somebody to contribute to the GitHub Actions. It is unlikely that my company would allow doing such a patch, but I can ask.