December 6th

William Winters

Nov 30, 2007, 9:47:00 PM11/30/07
to jenasixact...@googlegroups.com
Mychal Bell's juvenile trial on the Jena Six matter is scheduled to begin on December 6th, 2007.  As many of you know, many news organizations sued Judge J.P. Mauffrey for access to the entire proceedings, including the pre-trial motions.  Mauffrey agreed to open the trial, but not the pre-trial motions.  The news organizations appealed, and an appeals judge reversed Mauffrey's ruling.  He said that the trial could not be put off by Mauffrey so that his appeal could be heard unless the defense team agrees to delay the beginning of the trial.  There has been no indication as to whether or not this will happen.

Organizations around the country will hold solidarity events in support of Mychal Bell.  I would like to start planning for a caravan to Jena on the morning of the sixth and for some show of solidarity here in BR.  I know that this is short notice, but I encourage anyone who can to meet me at the Unitarian Church at 8470 Goodwood Blvd on Sunday afternoon at 3pm.  If you can't make it but still want to participate in some way, please let me know and we'll find some way to plug you in to whatever action steps come of the initial meeting.

Thanks, everyone.

--
William Winters, III
Advocacy Staff

marie flowers

Nov 30, 2007, 10:27:02 PM11/30/07
to jenasixact...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,
Please include me on what's next.  I will try my best to attend the this Sunday's meeting.

Marie