Looking for Drupal developers

pete.sim

Oct 20, 2008, 5:03:22 PM10/20/08
to Jelly In Austin
Hi Jelly-ites,

I am looking for a couple developers preferably in Texas who have an
advanced working knowledge of Drupal. The site averages about 60K
uniques a day, so the developer must be HIGHLY reliable and
trustworthy. If you or someone you know would be interested, please
contact me at pete...@gmail.com.

Thanks

Peter

Sunni BrightSpot Brown

Oct 21, 2008, 9:41:33 AM10/21/08
to Jelly In Austin
Peter,

What's the site and if you don't mind, could you tell me how well
Drupal works for you? I heard Joomla is good, too.

Thanks -
Sunni
> contact me at pete....@gmail.com.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Dawn Green

Oct 21, 2008, 9:45:06 AM10/21/08
to jelly-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

We have done a few sites using Drupal, and while we are very comfortable navigating that monster of an application, we are less adept at building our own modules (though we have completed our share of custom work).  What kind of work did you have in mind?

Thank you,
Dawn

====================
Dawn Green
Thunder Data Systems, Inc.
3811 Bee Caves Rd. Suite 201
Austin, TX 78746

www.thunderdata.com
(512) 329-6868, Austin, Texas
(361) 883-6464, Corpus Christi, Texas

pete...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2008, 10:05:43 AM10/21/08
to jelly-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Sorry for the lack of details - here is the job posting:

http://groups.drupal.org/node/16054

Thanks!

Peter

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Oct 21, 2008, 10:16:22 AM10/21/08
to jelly-i...@googlegroups.com
Not every jelly person is a computer programmer (or whoever this job
thread was targeted to). I could deal with maybe ONE post on this
topic (the initial one), but all the follow-ups are starting to feel
like spam. Could this thread please go private/individual and y'all
stop posting this stuff to the jelly group? And in the future, could
people please reply only to the original sender if something like this
pops up? Thank you kindly.

--
Sent from my mobile device

Christine Henry Andresen
Attorney-at-Law
3005 South Lamar Boulevard
Suite D109-203
Austin, Texas 78704
512.394.4230 phone
512.590.8700 fax

Stephen Gutknecht

Oct 21, 2008, 10:17:52 AM10/21/08
to jelly-i...@googlegroups.com, pete...@gmail.com

Peter,

I'm going to give you some valuable advice that most people ignore
again and again... but hey, I don't explain human nature, I speak for
what works ;)

Your desire for a "HIGHLY reliable and trustworthy" developer cries
out for you to study your site design, deployment methods and
operations.

In this day and age of virtualization and commodity hosting, it at
most costs a couple hundred dollars/month to have a second host. A
second hosting system allows you to put your newly developed code,
latest versions of Drupal, anything of concern - on a second site. You
can devise schemes to put a small percentage (10% for example) of your
users on that experimental site and catch problems before they impact
everyone.

There are details to work out such as data replication and read-only
vs. insertion changes - but overall - my message is pretty simple:
don't look for perfect developers and programmers, perfect servers,
etc. Deal with faults as part of the reality - and keep downtime and
problems to a minimum by having redundant systems with duplicate data.

Good people are very important - but it is often a mistake of fast
growing companies to ignore one of the bid advantages of open source -
that the software is free - you can easily setup additional copies
without incurring licensing costs!

For the record, the Austin Linux Users Group runs Drupal - but I don't
think we run it very well ;) I am not aware of any Drupal-experienced
people looking for work - but you may want to post to the
AustinLUG.org mailing list about your job - and I will also make a
point to pass the word along at our next meeting.

One last bit of feedback - on your posting - I see nothing about the
duration of this gig. Are you looking for someone for weeks, months,
years?

Stephen Gutknecht
Austin Linux Community reach out, spread the word
http://Twitter.com/AustinLinux

Joe Doyle

Oct 21, 2008, 10:22:24 AM10/21/08
to jelly-i...@googlegroups.com, pete...@gmail.com
Please - we're all educated. Don't reply all. Just to the sender.

Thanks.

On 10/21/08 9:17 AM, "Stephen Gutknecht" <stephen....@gmail.com>
wrote:
Joe Doyle
VP ­ Intelligence Division
Stalelife, Inc. > stalelife.com
773 259 9603

Peter Sim

Oct 21, 2008, 10:28:52 AM10/21/08
to Joe Doyle, jelly-i...@googlegroups.com
My fault - I'll make sure not to hit reply all next time. (Please don't burn me for this one...)

Thanks

Peter

Stephen Gutknecht

Oct 21, 2008, 10:31:24 AM10/21/08
to jelly-i...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

Oh you are educated, huh?

1) I suggest you school yourself on the charter of this mailing list.
Which I reviewed before posting. It says "Don't be shy. This is a
discussion group, not just a Jelly announcement email list. If you
want to talk about anything Jelly or coworking related please post
away! :)"
2) I suggest you learn how to trim messages on replies.
3) Why did you hypocritically send your 'correction' to the entire
list instead of just me?
4) Jelly is all about peer to peer discussion and open sharing. It is
about freelancers and free advice and diversity. This is not your
top-down VP of whatever place.

I'm replying ALL again, as you choose to school me in public, I'll
return the favor.

Good day to you, Sir!

P.S. if you are looking for just notices about Jelly meetings, I
suggest you use the Wiki. This mailing list is NOT just for
announcements.

Joe Doyle

Oct 21, 2008, 11:08:03 AM10/21/08
to jelly-i...@googlegroups.com
Take it easy, Stephen.

There was a call for a Drupal developer. If you meet the call, you answer
the email. Not everyone needs to read yours (or others) diatribes.

And I'm not the only one who responded that way.

My initial email wasn't only intended at you - per se - you weren't the only
person to respond to the original call in a reply all manner. So please,
accept my apology if you think I was trying to be mean to just you. I am
truly sorry for that is not the case.

On 10/21/08 9:31 AM, "Stephen Gutknecht" <stephen....@gmail.com>

Stephen Gutknecht

Oct 21, 2008, 12:07:27 PM10/21/08
to jelly-i...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Joe Doyle <j...@stalelife.com> wrote:

> Take it easy, Stephen.
>
> There was a call for a Drupal developer. If you meet the call, you answer
> the email. Not everyone needs to read yours (or others) diatribes.

You sure didn't "take it easy". You took it upon yourself to be the
mailing list police and telling people what is acceptable and not
acceptable.

Perhaps you happen to confuse a :::discussion list that happened to
have a job posting::: with a :::job posting list that happens to have
discussions:::. You continue to go out of your way to calls my post
"diatribes" and a waste of time (your original reply).

My reply concerning technical architecture was focused on the strategy
of solving the problems of unreliable technical results hiring
contractors, consultants, and freelancers. This is _exactly_ the kind
of issue that many Jelly community members faces - not just "I need a
full time employee", but "my experience has been bad with unreliable
contractors".

I suggest you consider diversity and that 'dirty tech-talking techies'
are part of the greater community. This is a public discussion
mailing list that encourages "don't be shy", to discourage this type
of "your post is not welcome on MY list" that is know to sometimes be
misapplied in our all to often top-down society. I encourage you to
'see the light' about community and tolerance of other people's ideas.
They may be off topic to you, but it was your choice to enter into
this mailing list.

You continue to post 'corrections' to me in public, so I'll respond in public.

Stephen

Joe Doyle

Oct 21, 2008, 12:11:13 PM10/21/08
to jelly-i...@googlegroups.com
I apologize to everyone on the list who has to read this email and my
previous.

I'm reaching out to Stephen off list.

- jd

On 10/21/08 11:07 AM, "Stephen Gutknecht" <stephen....@gmail.com>

Amy Lemen

Oct 21, 2008, 12:12:33 PM10/21/08
to jelly-i...@googlegroups.com
Wow, this is way more interesting than work.

Me-OW! :)

Amy

Amy E. Lemen
freelance writer & journalist
shelter • fitness • travel • technology

Christine Henry Andresen

Oct 21, 2008, 12:15:04 PM10/21/08
to jelly-i...@googlegroups.com
Not to me, if every doesn't stfu soon or we have any more irrelevant-to-jelly's-mission threads like this I'm going off the jelly mailing list. I have too many list-serves where people chatter off-topic as it is, don't need another.

-from christine the grumpy family lawyer

Dusty

Oct 21, 2008, 1:17:56 PM10/21/08
to Jelly In Austin
Man. Sounds like a few people have a case of muuuuundays.

Here's some pictures of cute animals : http://www.cuteoverload.com/

If this list is too noisy for you, I suggest setting up a filter in
you email client to send list-serve emails to a folder, or simply
change your email settings to receive a weekly or daily digest. This
is what I do for every list except this one. Go here to change your
email settings : http://groups.google.com/group/jelly-in-austin/subscribe?hl=en

As far as job posts and recruitment goes. I feel like some people
could benefit from this, being that a lot Jelly-ers are freelancers.
But if it continues to inspire problems, we may need to ban it.

Remember, you're not so anonymous on this list as you are elsewhere on
the Internet and Austin is a small city, so be nice to each other!
We're neighbors! Also, your posts are publicly archived for posterity
at http://groups.google.com/group/jelly-in-austin/. So don't go act a
fool on the public email list, or I'll show the post to your
parents. ;)

Dusty