Please Don't Forget the Basics with the New Release

Indy

Sep 2, 2008, 10:58:34 AM9/2/08
to Jello.Dashboard
Like the hundreds or thousands of others who use Jello on a daily
basis, I think it is a wonderful application. It provided a way for me
to implement many of the GTD principles into my daily workflow. It
took some tweaking and a few bugs were found along the way, but now it
works great!

Since the announcement was made about the new release, many people
have posted items they would like to see included in Jello. Some of
the requests seem to go beyond the initial concept of why Jello was
created. I am a little concerned that Jello may become something it
was never intended to be and instead become mediocre at several things
instead of being outstanding at one thing.

Here is my request for the upcoming release. Don't forget why the
program was created and keep it simple and elegant. Unless something
is going to improve the usability (menu, task creation, context
creation, settings), speed etc., leave it out.

Thank you for all of your efforts in designing a great program!

dr.Uqbar

Sep 3, 2008, 1:28:54 PM9/3/08
to jelloDa...@googlegroups.com
Hello Indy,

I am totally on your side on this and I couldn't agree more to your point of you.
One of the reasons I've decided to start coding from scratch again was exactly this: Too many requests were made to customize the system resulting a complicated application, with many settings, confusing novice users and cluttering the whole idea.

My decision was clear. A GTD workflow injected into the system will prevent misunderstanding of its use, although most of the main features will be preserved.
Of course many new features will be introduced, mainly because I think they will greatly improve the usability of the application and were requested by many users: Reference items, Multi-step actions, on-the-fly sorting, exporting and printing will significantly increase the application's power.

The only drawback is more time on developing!
Starting with the first alpha release I hope I will receive user's feedback in a constructive way.

Thank you for sharing your point of view
regards
Nicolas
--
Nicolas Sivridis
Author and hobbyist Developer

JoeAtTrends

Sep 4, 2008, 9:53:30 AM9/4/08
to Jello.Dashboard
I think one thing which would be a great addition to preserve the
basics, along with providing the functionality asked of all the users
on here is to upon setup allow the user to get things setup the way
they want. ie pick the school of GTD that they truly subscribe to, be
it pure unadulterated GTD or something slightly modified with tasks
and subtasks and subcontexts and sub projects sub everything (the
divide and conquer version I guess it would be) Then once setup is
complete the users not only have a more complete ready to go package
(for them at least) but they can skip all the crap they don't need or
want, right from the get go.

dr.Uqbar

Sep 4, 2008, 3:40:55 PM9/4/08
to jelloDa...@googlegroups.com
Joe,
I've been thinking about that too. It's a good idea but I need more time to think about it!

thanks
Nicolas