Carbon farming...

Greg David

Oct 25, 2017, 11:41:40 AM10/25/17
to Sustain Jefferson (Wisconsin), jefferson-county-comm...@googlegroups.com, Mike Kelly, megk...@tds.net, Matt Kelly, Dan, Karen Rybold-Chin
Hi Everyone,

This:
is a really good interview about carbon farming. In the interview, the author cites the fact that over half of the atmospheric carbon addition since the industrial revolution began 300 yrs ago, is from deforestation, soil depletion and urbanization... though fossil fuel carbon emissions are fast catching up. The tall grass prairie soils (and other equally rich soils)of the past had approximately 10 to 20 % organic matter and was one of the 'big carbon bombs' set off by 'modern' farming practices.

He also states that most experts believe that to bring total atmospheric carbon back down to 350ppm, which is what is thought necessary to keep global worming to 2degrees C, we need to remove 200-250 billion tons of carbon.

He further states that increasing the soil organic content by one percent, sequesters around 10 tons of carbon per acre. So by adopting carbon farming practices, which humans could choose to do, being sentient and all that, we could mitigate the the atmospheric carbon catastrophe.
The other advantages of having a carbon farming food system offers other huge advantages of better health, better diversity, more jobs, less corruption of enterprise and many other social, ecological and emotional advantages.

Finally, he pointed to the Savanna Institute, IL, WI and MN as leaders in this revolution. As some of you may remember, the Savanna Institute was founded by WI's own Kevin Woltz, who was partially inspired by touring some of our own local farms.
https://www.peakprosperity.com/podcast/113325/connor-stedman-carbon-farming

Go listen, it's really good,
Greg
Sent from my iPad