Sustainable government?...

Greg David

Nov 19, 2018, 11:42:37 AM11/19/18
to sj-fir...@googlegroups.com, Sustain Jefferson (Wisconsin), jefferson-county-comm...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,
This is the first of a series of missives I’ll be sending out in the next few days that deal with sustainability is some fashion. I’ll post a note at the beginning of each article, podcast or video, explaining the relation between the subject matter and sustainability.

Today’s post is from our friend and deep thinker, John Ikerd. John has been a hero of mine for his outspoken courage in stating the facts as he sees them and challenging the common think. Many of you were introduced to John when we read and discussed his book; A Revolution of the Middle and the Pursuit of Happiness. John’s post today can be summarized in the quote from Thomas Paine: “Society is produced by our wants, and government by our wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices.”  He concludes, that government is “rendered necessary by the inability of moral virtue to govern the world.”[i]

Please enjoy John’s post as much as I did.
Greg
Ps the link to the article is in the post below.

Hello Greg David,

I’ve published a new blog to my website. We Must Make Government Work!
If we are to preserve our democracy and continue living in a civilized society, we must make government work. Unfortunately, too many Americans no longer believe that government can work. Too many others think government should work for them as individuals rather than as members of society. As a result, …
You may view the latest post at http://johnikerd.com/2018/11/we-must-make-government-work/
You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are posted.

Thanks &  Best Regards

John

Sent from my iPad