Fermenting...

1 view

Greg David

Jan 6, 2019, 2:57:11 PM1/6/19
to Sustain Jefferson (Wisconsin), jefferson-county-comm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Back in the old days, before refrigeration, it was difficult to keep produce for a long time. Fermentation was one vital technique that preserved summer’s bounty and at the same time, enhanced its nutritional value. This is because fermenting adds beneficial microbes to the ferment, thereby adding the probiotics to our gut that are vital for a healthy gut biome. Modern research is indicating that the gut biota has played a crucial role in the evolution of modern man, and prolly many other species of animal living in the natural world. We don’t do well in a sterile environment or with a lack of probiotics in our gut. If we loose the good bacteria, through use of antibiotics or glyphosate poisoning, there’s a good chance that our guts may become infected with bad bacteria, causing dysentery, dysbiosis or leaky guts... all very very bad.

So, here:

Is a link to a very interesting video on how to make sour kraut (which I hope we all know how to make already), kimchi (I learned a lot here), sriracha (fermented peppers) and kvass (Russian fermented beets). I thought the instructor did a great job demonstrating and explaining how to make all these different types of ferments.

Also, here:

Is a link to Dr. Mercola explaining why ferments are so important  to our health and how to make a basic sour kraut without salt.

Both videos are very tasteful and helpful in expanding our knowledge of old fashioned ferments.

Enjoy,
Greg

Sent from my iPad

James Kerler

Jan 13, 2019, 11:30:02 PM1/13/19
to jefferson-county-comm...@googlegroups.com
Greg,
The video you shared inspired me to start my first batch of sauerkraut EVER today.  (I was already reading The Art Of Fermentation so this was a good way to jump start my learning curve.)

Thanks!
Jim Kerler

MARK MAY

Jan 14, 2019, 9:14:52 AM1/14/19